How to Automatically specify the problemtype?

Moderator: GiD Team

Amors

How to Automatically specify the problemtype?

Post by Amors »

Hi all,

I have some interesting problems in the development process. Someone asked me what is problemtype? How about another ones? So, I need explain that all time to different persons. Now, I notice the software "Tdyn16.2.5 x64" need not assign the problemtype. I have a try to copy some commans of .TCL in "Tdyn", which effectively skips assigning the problemtype, but the Mesh->Assign cartesian size->lines cannot work. I am confused how I should do.
I need some help how to default the problemtype I need. if that, I can directly build the models when I open our GID.

Regards,
escolano

Re: How to Automatically specify the problemtype?

Post by escolano »

A 'GiD problemtype' is simply a collection of files in a folder .gid that when is loaded customize GiD for a specific simulation.
It is a kind of plugin that is loaded to modify the GiD behaviour and add new features, like allow write calculation files in the format expected by the simulation.

see this F.A.Q. https://gidsimulation.atlassian.net/wik ... oblem+type

What
Tdyn16.2.5 x64" need not assign the problemtype
means?
A problemtype is not assigned to entities, it is loaded or unloaded in GiD, then usually the GUI of GiD change.

I guess that do you mean, that in the GiD copy installed by Tdyn (compassfem) is not compulsory that the user manually do the load from the Data->Problem type menu
the problemtype can be also specified as an argument of the gid.exe command line
gid.exe -p <problemtype_name>
(see https://gidsimulation.atlassian.net/wik ... line+flags)

And in particular Tdyn install its own GiD copy, not shared with other problemtype, and it uses a trick creating a file 'argv.txt' that GiD read and act like its content was written in the command line, and in this case has something like
-c2 Tdyn16.2.0.gid.ini -p compassfem
then a direct double-click on gid.exe will start gid with a non-default user settings file, and will then load the problemtype named compassfem (that is located at <GiD>/problemtypes/compassfem.gid)
Amors

Post by Amors »

Thank you your help. I get it.

I consider the same method and build the argv.txt.
Amors

Post by Amors »

escolano wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm A 'GiD problemtype' is simply a collection of files in a folder .gid that when is loaded customize GiD for a specific simulation.
It is a kind of plugin that is loaded to modify the GiD behaviour and add new features, like allow write calculation files in the format expected by the simulation.

see this F.A.Q. https://gidsimulation.atlassian.net/wik ... oblem+type

What
Tdyn16.2.5 x64" need not assign the problemtype
means?
A problemtype is not assigned to entities, it is loaded or unloaded in GiD, then usually the GUI of GiD change.

I guess that do you mean, that in the GiD copy installed by Tdyn (compassfem) is not compulsory that the user manually do the load from the Data->Problem type menu
the problemtype can be also specified as an argument of the gid.exe command line
gid.exe -p <problemtype_name>
(see https://gidsimulation.atlassian.net/wik ... line+flags)

And in particular Tdyn install its own GiD copy, not shared with other problemtype, and it uses a trick creating a file 'argv.txt' that GiD read and act like its content was written in the command line, and in this case has something like
-c2 Tdyn16.2.0.gid.ini -p compassfem
then a direct double-click on gid.exe will start gid with a non-default user settings file, and will then load the problemtype named compassfem (that is located at <GiD>/problemtypes/compassfem.gid)
Hello, I have a try to add the file named as "argv.txt", I implemented an automatic assignment of "Problemtype". However, I find a derivative problem that I can not mesh the grid of "line" type.
It is that I operate " Mesh->Genernate mesh ". But, the windows of "Progress in meshing" only have the informations of Hexahedra element and nodes. I cannot get the informations of " Linear elements ". If I delete the file of "argv.txt", I can generate the informations of "Linear elements".
the context in "argv.txt" include the "-c2 tem3dfdtd.gid.ini -p tem3dfdtd". Clearly, the name, "tem3dfdtd.gid", is my problemtype.
escolano

Post by escolano »

probably them different behavior is because you are setting an alternative user setting file with
-c2 tem3dfdtd.gid.ini
and some variable related with meshing preferences doesn't has the value as you want