GiD crashes during geometry edition

Moderator: GiD Team

Damian_Nykiel

GiD crashes during geometry edition

Post by Damian_Nykiel »

Hello,

I've been having a problem for a long time with GiD shutting down, and finally decided to ask for help.

While editing geometry, the program crashes and shuts down very often. This requires it to restart, and I often lose unsaved progress because of this.
I presented the problem in the video in the link below:
https://box.pionier.net.pl/f/095ea7453e8a44119965/

The problem occurs regardless of the version of the software or the computer I am working on. Sometimes it happens more often sometimes less often, but for 3 years of working with the program it has been an integral part of it.
Has anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it?

Best regards,
Damian
escolano

Re: GiD crashes during geometry edition

Post by escolano »

please, attach a zip file with the GiD model to debug it.
Maybe has some kind of corruption
Can try also an Utilities->Repair
Damian_Nykiel

Post by Damian_Nykiel »

I add the file in the attachment.
The problem occurs on any model I am working on.

I have not tried the "repair" function I will check if it gives any positive changes.

Thank you for the hint.
Attachments
Usuwanie S3 -25.09.2023.gid.zip
(230.6 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

I have tried with your model, but I am unable to repeat the crash (doing similar copy surfaces operation as your video), using the same GiD 15.0.4 version

But we are not doing exactly the same:
1- the model is not the same, because they has volumes and the surfaces that are created in the video.
2- My problemtype Atena is different, I don't have the '5.9.0' version, I have other versions (and loading your model offer to be transformed
3- My user settings are different and can also affect.

To try to repeat the same,
-send me exactly the same starting model that crash doing the copies (of try yourself with the previously attached file)
-send me also a zip with your problemtype (the folder <GiD>/problemtypes/Atena)
-reset your user preferences to start with the same default variable values (see https://gidsimulation.atlassian.net/wik ... references)

To identify if the crash has some relation with the problemtype, you can also try to create the GiD geometry without Atena loaded:
Data->Problemtype->Unload and then save it and start GiD again and try to crash it (if can repeat the crash with out the problemtype, then send me this model and the problemtype is not required to test it)

We have detected that after use some Atena window message function (with tk_messageBox) the Windows menus become unstable and can crash posting them. We are avoiding this bug in latest Atena versions. Try to update your Atena problemtype version if possible.
Damian_Nykiel

Post by Damian_Nykiel »

Ok, here is the link to the new video with the error:
https://box.pionier.net.pl/f/76758373e1834bff92fe/

As I wrote earlier, I don't think that the error is related to the Atena-GiD script. The script I use is attached to this post with the same model as in the video.
As you can see in the video, I ran pure GiD without additional scripts and only edited the geometry. The program crashed twice in 5 minutes.

So what I wrote earlier is confirmed, it doesn't matter what model I'm working on, what version of GiD or version of Atena scripts, this problem has been happening to me since I started my adventure with GiD and it persists even though I worked on different models, different versions of GiD, as well as on different hardware. The only thing I notice is that on some computers the problem occurs less often and on others more often.

I still hope for a solution to the problem. :?
Damian
Attachments
test.gid.zip
GiD model
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Atena.zip
Atena problemtype
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

Sorry by the delay, I was very busy and cannot had time to do these tests.

I have tried to do similar actions that the ones of the video, but I was unable to crash the program.
The problemtype Atena is not related with the crash, because it is not loaded in your video

Maybe do you have some different user settings
I have started also with GiD 15.0.4 Winx64, with all default settings, deleting the folder
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GiD
(see https://gidsimulation.atlassian.net/wik ... references)
and selecting in the initial screen the graphical acceleration and black theme, like your video.

Note: the project test.gid attached is different of the one opened in the video.

some comments:
About the actions of the video,

Can use copy of surface with "Do extrude" == Volume, to avoid need to manually create lateral lines and surfaces automatic of 4 sides and then volume.

Using 'Rotation' require in 3D an axis defined by two points, in the video several times both points are the same (0,0,0) and (0,0,0) then don't define an axis line to rotate around. GiD is showing a message that 'Failed calculation transformation' and don't allow to select any entity.
can also set the 'Two dimensions checkbox' and then only a center point is required (the rotation axis is parallel to z axis in this case)

I have tried to do your same mistakes, that maybe become in some memory error in GiD, but I was unable to crash it.

If do you want, send me your 'C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\GiD\15.0.4\gid.ini' to try to have your same variables of user preferences.

Another possible difference is the use of some filenames and paths of Poland, and the system encoding...

Finally, instead 15.0.4 official can also try the last 15 developer version 15.1.6d (or 16.x versions)
https://downloads.gidsimulation.com/GiD ... nstall.exe