Deformed Mesh

Moderator: GiD Team

MdR

Deformed Mesh

Post by MdR »

Hi,
I have the following problem. I would like to display the deformation of two different part of my mesh.
I have a structure that is deformed from a earthquake and the soil under it that is also affected by the earthquake.
However (for computing issue) I cannot have both the structure and the soil in the same result files (they are way too big to compute).
I then have two results files that are loaded in the post-process.
When I display the deformed mesh of the soil, I loose the structure, and vice-versa.
I tryed "plot several result" but it doesn't work for the deformed mesh.

I would like to see the Structure AND the soil deformed shape in the post-process to make a nice animation...Is there a way out of this? Thanks!
escolano

Re: Deformed Mesh

Post by escolano »

The answer depends on several factors:
-Is the same mesh shared by both results?
-there is only a kind of element or more than one? (e.g. triangles +quads)
-the results are on nodes or elements (on gauss points)?
-how are the nodes/elements numbered? (repeating id's in both cases or using different ids, e.g. a node 1 for the case A and another node 1 for the case B)

Is it possible to have a small example with a coarse mesh?
MdR

Post by MdR »

-Is the same mesh shared by both results? : Yes
-there is only a kind of element or more than one? (e.g. triangles +quads) : Two type : Quad for soil meshing and Linear element for structure
-the results are on nodes or elements : On nodes
How are the nodes / elements numbered : one by one

I number the element of soil first, then I add artifial pts that do not appear in the post-process, then I add the structural nodes.
So, for example, If I have a single quad element with a horizontal line on top of it it would like :
node 1 : 0. 0.
node 2 : 1. 0.
node 3 : 1. 1.
node 4 : 0. 1.
So the element is defined counter-clockwise : ele 1 node 1 node 2 node 3 node 4
I would need ghost point , say node 5 and 6.
Then I add the linear element :
node 7 0. 1.
node 8 1. 1.
element linear 1 node 7 node 8

Then I record the displacement of the quad element (the displacement of the node) in a file, like quadDisp.out
I also record the displacement of the linear element : linearDisp.out
I then have two sets of results. When I want to plot the deformed mesh, I cannot see both of them, it's eitheir the linear element or the quad element. I hope it's more clear?
MdR

Post by MdR »

I added a screenshot of the top part of the model, with the soil mesh + the linear element making the structure.
Attachments
Model.png
Model.png (23.46 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

please, attach also a zip with the GiD model and your current GiD results, to try to modify them if necessary in order to show the deformation of both parts.
MdR

Post by MdR »

Here are the mesh file, the result file and the data files (I did simply include the model, there is no data really in the file so they are small).
I added a .zip at the end so I could upload the file. They are text file really (just edit the file name to .out or to .res and .msh).
Attachments
Disp_Struc_GiD.out.zip
(462 Bytes) Downloaded 360 times
Disp_SOL_GiD.out.zip
(289 Bytes) Downloaded 351 times
ProjectName.post.res.zip
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 372 times
ProjectName.post.msh.zip
(912 Bytes) Downloaded 361 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

To show the result for both meshes the result name must be the same (because you select to see a result name, not more than one)

The problem is that you cannot define in the same results file more that a 'results'

This .post.res file is bad, because must not repeat the same result name (in the same anaysis and time step)

GiD Post Results File 1.0

Result "Movement" "Demo" 1 Vector OnNodes
Values
13 -1.5322 0.52988 0
17 -1.9682 1.3943 0
End Values

Values
1 1.2789 -1.8734 0
12 -2.0117 -0.57991 0
End Values

(using the include is like it was the same file)

You can somehow externally 'join' both results in a single file, with a single 'Result header" to have this .post.res file Ok

Values
13 -1.5322 0.52988 0
17 -1.9682 1.3943 0
1 1.2789 -1.8734 0
12 -2.0117 -0.57991 0
End Values

Note: it is possible to set ids unsorted, like my example, but if possible I recommend to sort them

It is possible to repeat result name+analysis+step , to allow split the result in several files, but then you must insert the files in postprocess with
Files->Merge... (can select multiple .res files in the dialog window)

And finally it is possible to use a <modelname>.post.lst file to automatically load several files when changing to postprocess.
The first line of this file declare what to do: Single Merge or Multiple. In your case do you want
Merge
and the next lines of the file are names of the files to load (use relative names). the files could contain mesh, results and/or graphs

e.g. in your case .post.lst

Merge
test_result_nodal_quads_lines.structure.res
test_result_nodal_quads_lines.soil.res

I attach an example with a pseudo-result of a vectorial displacement or nodes (2D rotation of 2 angles in 2 time steps)
test_result_nodal_quads_lines.zip
(10.18 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
The zip contain as example two unused files:
1-test_result_nodal_quads_lines.post_all_ok.res
this is the first explained approach: somehow join all in a .post.res file with this content (and the remove the .post.lst and all its included files)
2-test_result_nodal_quads_lines.post_all_bad.res
example of currently a bad file, because has repeated results names.
MdR

Post by MdR »

Thanks alot for your answer! :D