how to create a rectangular bucket in 10-node tetrahedral format?

Moderator: GiD Team

simonz

how to create a rectangular bucket in 10-node tetrahedral format?

Post by simonz »

hi:
I've tried to create a bucket in a rectangular form and trying to assign it as a tetrahedral mesh. while no matter how many times i tried, once the bucket layer is under impact, the layer will deform or wrap on the particle that impacts on it.
How can i fix it? can anyone teach me on this issue?
Thank you soooo much

one screenshot for a bucket that should be created is been attached, which I got from a third party.
Attachments
bucket example.png
bucket example.png (265.77 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
escolano

Re: how to create a rectangular bucket in 10-node tetrahedral format?

Post by escolano »

Sorry, I don't understand at all your question.
Do you want to import an 'externally defined' mesh of 10-noded tetrahedra of this 'bucket'?
Are you able to import it?
What do you mean by 'once the bucket layer is under impact, the layer will deform or wrap on the particle that impacts on it'?
maybe this is related with the prolemtype+solver that you are using (GiD doesn't has any related to 'impact')
simonz

Post by simonz »

hi escolano:
It's not importing, i simply want to create one bucket in 10-node tetrahedral format.
yes...what you said is true about the wrapping problem, it's related to a problem type developed by a third party, and just ignore this issue.
Can you provide me some info about the creation of that bucket? thanks a lot!!

simon
escolano

Post by escolano »

If I have understood well do you want to create a volume of a rectangular bucket and mesh it with quadratic tetrahedra.

for example I have created it creating first the surfaces of the base, a rectangle and a ring around the rectangle, and then I have created volumes by two copes with extrussion along z.
Then to mesh the volumes with quadratic tetrahedra must set Mesh->Quadratic type->Quadratic
and generate the mesh with a general edge size.

I attach this simple model
bucket_quadratic.zip
(224.44 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
that looks like this picture
bucket_quadratic.png
bucket_quadratic.png (200.36 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
simonz

Post by simonz »

hi escolano:
I really appreciate your help on what questions that i've asked.
For this bucket question, i am still having trouble with the one that i created always getting weird deformation under the problem type from a third party.
I wonder if you can re-create a bucket like the one you created, just change the size a bit larger (say (200,200,300)) for me that i can test if the one that created from you can be properly run?

Thank you so much
Simon
escolano

Post by escolano »

Yourself could create my geometry easily, simple create in 2D the two surfaces of the rectangle and the ring around it, and use the copy tool do do a couple of extrussions to create the volumes.
Please, follow a GiD tutorial like the ones of the 'GiD user manual' to learn about start using GiD.
(this is a link to the pfd version ftp://www.gidhome.com/pub/GiD_Documenta ... Manual.pdf, they are also included in the GiD help in html)

You can also try to modify my previous file using the Move - Scale tool to resize the volume scaling with different factors on each x y z direction
Utilities->Move...
Entities: volumes, Transformation: scale, and set the three appropiated factor to get the desired sized
measure the current size with Utilities->Distance)
e.g. my model has sizes 2.95812x2.59163x4.3 units, to have 200x200x300 the scales must be ex=200/2.95812, ey=200/2.59163, ez=300/4.3
move_scale.png
move_scale.png (11.85 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
I attach again the model scaled
bucket_quadratic_scaled.zip
(233.93 KiB) Downloaded 309 times