Divide line near a point

Moderator: GiD Team

emiroglu

Divide line near a point

Post by emiroglu »

Dear GiD-Team,

I am working on a IGES geometry file, from which I'd like to generate a mesh with nodes at given points. Since it will be an extension of a previously generated mesh which I can't modify, it is important that the generated nodes are precisely at these positions.

I thought I could use the option "Divide line near a point" but this option works only by generating a new point and dividing the existing line near the newly generated point. Could you please help me with this issue?

I am using GiD 12.0.8 on a Linux system.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Emiroglu
escolano

Re: Divide line near a point

Post by escolano »

Probably is is not a good approach to generate first a mesh and then try to generate the mesh of other geometric part in a second step, trying to exactly match the boundary of the first mesh. If possible it could be better to have the whole model, and generate the whole mesh in a single step.

In any case, about the cuestion of 'divide a line near point', it require a coordinate that could be not on the line to be divided, and GiD will find the nearest point on the curve and will divide it.
In is not compulsory that the 'near point' is an existent point, if fact only the coordinates are required. While selecting you can select some existent point (picked in screen or entering its id) or a new coordinate (picked in screen or entering its x,y,z real numbers).
Also in the contextual menu could select other options, like 'point on line' to pick a point on an curve, etc.
point_contextual_options.png
point_contextual_options.png (13.65 KiB) Viewed 3287 times