Rainfall Data

Moderator: CODE_BRIGHT Team

bnkolev

Rainfall Data

Post by bnkolev »

Dear Code_Bright Community,

I have been trying to simulate the effect of rainfall. The simulation I attached is of a cube, meshed with a 100 elements. I have been struggling to understand the proper way to implement this effect even after reading the manual and the tutorial examples.

To clarify the simulation:
1) The average rainfall for each interval is calculated in the attached Excel Sheet "Rainfall_Data.xlxs"
2) The rainfall starts at interval 16, which is at day 580 (50112000 sec) and continues until interval 29, day 1725 (149040000 sec)
3) The _atm.dat file I have attached has the time in seconds for each interval and the rainfall in mm/sec
4) The atmospheric flux boundary condition is applied at interval 16 all the way until interval 29

What I am trying to communicate with the software:
For each interval, starting interval 16 (580-640 days) I have computed that an average value of rainfall in mm/sec. For interval 16 this is 8.16 E-06 mm/sec rainfall and want to apply this rainfall to a boundary.

Questions I have:
1) I am not sure if the way I have set up the _atm.dat file is correct given what I want to communicate
2) I am not sure if the atmospheric FLUX boundary condition I have applied is correct as well.

Best regards
Attachments
Simulation.zip
(123.48 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
bnkolev

Re: Rainfall Data

Post by bnkolev »

UPDATE:

I managed to make ti compute by introducing Atmospheric boundary condition even in the intervals where no rainfall should be applied.
In the _atm.dat file I applied zero precipitation in every single interval before 16 in order to make Code_Bright not crash.
The weird outcome is that even in the intervals with 0 precipitation, the Degree of Saturation is increasing.

I have attached the updated simulation and would appreciate someone who has experience to take a look. I am sure the problem is something trivial that I cannot see due to lack of experience.

Best regards,
Boris
Attachments
Simulation_Rev02.zip
(94.43 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
code_bright

Post by code_bright »

About the _atm.dat file, you can download an example from the website:

https://www.etcg.upc.edu/recerca/webs/c ... r-examples

Regards,

Alfonso
Melia_Hawaii

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Hi Alfonso,

I am having problems with the atmospheric file. It seems that the file is structured so that there cannot be any blanks in the data and there has to be the same amount of rows in all columns. In other words, I have to delete an entire time interval if one parameter is missing and I cannot have more readings for one parameter than another. Furthermore, I cannot have data that extends longer than a year.

Are these statements true? Once I corrected all of those things, the program finally ran.

Best,
Melia
code_bright

Post by code_bright »

Hi Melia,

I think your statements about the format of the file are probably right, but your statement about not being able to have data that extends longer than a year must be wrong, I think. It's your interval data compatible with the file? Which units for time are you using?

Regards,

Alfonso
Melia_Hawaii

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Thanks for your reply. I have data on an hourly basis that extends longer than a year. I had the interval time set at "months". This will probably be fixed by setting it to years?

Also, I noticed a line in the atm.dat file that is titled "unused". Could this be the line to input how many "blanks" there are in a column?

Melia
Agus

Post by Agus »

Dear Melia,

I don't have clear your question, but If your data is given in hours, you should stablish "hours" as your time unit in CB. On the contrary, I think that CB will suppose your time unit are years or months. So, if you say that your final time is 1 year, because the unit time are years, and then the file contains hours, the program will suppose 1 hour = 1 year. Try to put the same units in CB and the file.

About the unused line, I have no clear what you mean. This line must contain 0 values. Don't write anything on that line. It is a format issue and how the CB must read the file. I don't know what you mean with "input blanks".

Cheers