Volume can't be semi-structured.

Moderator: GiD Team

Hamed

Volume can't be semi-structured.

Post by Hamed »

Hi. I want to monitor temperature in the middle of the column that I'm modelling, and for that I have divided the surface so that I can define the point . I use hexahedra elements for the volumes and quadrilateral elements for the surfaces but I keep getting the following message: "Volume number 1 can't be semi-structured. It needs to be a prismatic volume, lateral surfaces must be meshed with structured mesh, and top surfaces must have the same meshing data. what is the problem??!!

Besides, can I define a point in the middle of the column without dividing the surface( and defining only one volume)?

Many thanks in advance for your help
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
abelcs

Re: Volume can't be semi-structured.

Post by abelcs »

Hello,
your geometry seams to be prismatic, but you may have some duplicated entity, or maybe some of the points you have created is not splitting the line.
You can check the topology of the entities using View->HigherEntities.
If you want, you can attach the model, so I can check it.
escolano

Post by escolano »

The geometry is not prismatic in the 'semi-structured' extrussion direction, then is not possible to be meshes as semi-structured.
The top and bottom surfaces must have a one-to-one relationship, with the same amount of lines and pairs of lines must be connected by four sided lateral surfaces.

You must divide the bottom surface in the same way as you did for the top surface, create two extra surfaces joining the top and bottom lines, and spit the volume in two volumes with this two new surfaces.
Hamed

Post by Hamed »

thank you very much