Can't use my licence

Moderator: GiD Team

richard

Can't use my licence

Post by richard »

We use a floating licence here, that works on all the pcs but one - what happens is this:

When I open GiD I have to wait pretty long, before the menu line is loaded (the text one, not the one with the icons), and I get the message:
"Problems while checking actualizations"

The switch stays on red, and now I can try to hit "register", but when I enter 127.0.0.1 as password (which works on my notebook), I get:
Contact gid@cimne.upc.edu to obtain the password for this host:

and when I enter the passwort, I get:

This is the EVALUATION Version. Cannot get a password from PasServer IP 127.0.0.1. Check if this IP is correct.

Name: *****
Operating System: windows
Sysinfo: **********

Thing is, when I re-install windows, it works for one try ;(
escolano

Re: Can't use my licence

Post by escolano »

Which GiD version are you using? (see Help->About...)
Old versions take long time building the menus when starting (specially in some machines). Latest version start faster.
Download the last available developer version compatible with your licence (same main number, e.g. 12.x)

About the message "Problems while checking actualizations" is only because it can't connect to our ftp server to see if there is some more recent GiD version.
You can avoid this check in Utilities->Preferences... General
unset 'Check for updates' (if your GiD version is old maybe this option doesn't exists in the preferences window)

And about the problem to get a floating password from 'localhost' (127.0.0.1),
1-check that passerverd is running and has a valid licence for your machine sysinfo
(can start passerver-conf to see if passerverd is ok and has valid passwords for your server and GiD version)

if do you have reinstalled Windows maybe your sysinfo has changed and your licence become invalid!!

2- If passerverd and its licences are ok, check that the firewall is not forbidding the connection with the port 7073)
richard

Post by richard »

I can use GiD on my notebook, so I assume it works. I normally just can't use both at the same time.
richard

Post by richard »

escolano wrote:And about the problem to get a floating password from 'localhost' (127.0.0.1),
1-check that passerverd is running and has a valid licence for your machine sysinfo
(can start passerver-conf to see if passerverd is ok and has valid passwords for your server and GiD version)
How do I do that exactly?
escolano wrote:if do you have reinstalled Windows maybe your sysinfo has changed and your licence become invalid!!
Why does it work when I reinstall windows for a couple of times (sometimes only one time) then? No I am guessing something is blocking my communication with the licence server. But for example netstat -a -m shows the exact same output as my notebook does :(
escolano wrote:2- If passerverd and its licences are ok, check that the firewall is not forbidding the connection with the port 7073)
Even with deactivated firewall: This is the EVALUATION Version. Cannot get a password from PasServer IP 127.0.0.1. Check if this IP is correct.
richard

Post by richard »

I just found a hint to the problem: When I remotely log into the licence server and write:

telnet open 127.0.0.1 7073 it answers with a key. If I do that on my notebook, it also does that. It does not do that on my PC :(
escolano

Post by escolano »

I think that the problem it that you are connection to a wrong IP !!

127.0.0.1 is a generic IP that means localhost ('my local machine') and I think that passeverd (the floating password server) has been installed and is running in another computer.
You can use GiD in the same computer that passerverd with "127.0.0.1", but you cannot use GiD in other laptop and use "127.0.0.1" because you don't have passerverd running in this laptop!!!

To connect from other machines you must use the true IP of your server, not '127.0.0.1(see command ipconfig on the server to know it)
and the connection from the client to the server at the port 7073 must be allowed (probably the connection to all ports is forbidden for security by the firewall)
richard

Post by richard »

I still was not able to figure that one out.

The 127.0.0.1 is they way it always worked (because I create a tunnel from that port to the license server ...).

I think the problem is more generall, I am also not able to click "check for updates" for example - "Problems while checking actualizations." I have the same issue with GiD 13.
escolano

Post by escolano »

the message "Problems while checking actualizations" has not relation with the password server.
This message appears if GiD is unable to connect with our ftp server to check if there are newer GiD versions available for download.
Could disable this check in
Utilities->Preferences... General->Interface - Check for updates

Really I don't know what is the problem tunneling the connection between the GiD client and passeverd at the server, and why it works only once when reinstalling Windows.