Predefined I-section

Moderator: GiD Team

hanusfr

Predefined I-section

Post by hanusfr »

Hello,
We have recently updated our GiD Version 9 to Version 12.
In the previous version, it was possible to use predefined geometries for steel beams (IPE, HEA, HEB,... sections).
Could you please say me if these predefined geometries are still available in the most recent version ?

Thank you

François HANUS
escolano

Re: Predefined I-section

Post by escolano »

GiD never had something like steel beam sections!!
GiD is a neutral pre/postprocessor, this is specific of a structural analysis that must be implemented in a GiD problemtype.
Probably you are talking about the problemtype 'RamSeries' of CompassIS.
You could copy your problemtype of GiD 9 (inside the ...\problemtypes folder) to your new GiD version, and it will appear in the Data->Problemtypes menu
hanusfr

Post by hanusfr »

I agree with you. My question was out of scope.
We have developed Problemtypes allowing the definition of predefined sections.

We have used the same Problemtypes as for Version 9 but it does not work.
In version 12, the menu does not allow for this predefined section.
Could you say me if there are significant differences in the programmation/customization of GiD ?

I agree that my question is quite complex for you as you don't know how our problemtypes are written.
But perhaps, you could have an idea of the possible reasons why a Problemtype developed for GiD 9 could not work for GiD 12...

Thank you for your collaboration.

François
escolano

Post by escolano »

They are not significant differences of programmation between versions, most problemtypes of old GiD's should work in latest versions (we try to maintain compatibility with the past, but unfortunatelly it is not always possible).

Problemtypes that do advanced things in Tcl/Tk could become broken in new GiD versions (with Tcl is possible to do everything)
In any case the problemtype probably could be adapted to new GiD versions with some minor changes.

For example very old problemtypes modify menu changing directly our own Tcl private variables, instead of use our docummented procedures to add/remove/modify menus (GiDMenu::Create, GiDMenu::Delete, etc.)

If do you want attach a copy or your problemtype (solvers .exe themselves are not necessary) that worked well in GiD 9 and let me know what is failing in GiD 12.
Maybe I could explain how to upgrade it.
escolano

Post by escolano »

Instead of using old procedures to modify GiD menus (like CreateMenu, InserMenuOption, UpdateMenus)
must be used the ones documented in 'GiD customization manual'

Code: Select all

GiDMenu::Create
GiDMenu::InsertOption
GiDMenu::UpdateMenus
the old procedures CreateMenu, …, UpdateMenus already exists in the file scripts\Deprecated.tcl, but it seems that there is some problem with them in GiD 12