How about "Tohil Python Package" via the VENV module?

Moderator: GiD Team

Hemmi

Post by Hemmi »

From the GiD 16.1.2d developer version, the "Tohil Python Package" is included. This is a nice feature for me as I love Python scripting.

One problem with using Python is that many versions of Python are installed on our PC and this often causes confusion. In one case "MS store based python" is used and in another case the standard installed python is used and in the near future "Tohil Python Package" will be used. I think one recommend way to avoid such confusion is to use VENV module of python. If it were possible to use the "Tohil Python Package" via the VENV module, there would be less confusion, since each person could use their own python package, such as scipy, and the installation could be in a location that does not require administrative privileges. I think this will reduce confusion.

escolano

Re: How about "Tohil Python Package" via the VENV module?

Post by escolano »

Our Tohil package include our own version of Python, and is independent or other possible Python versions installed on the system
In our package we set (or try to do it at least) the environment variables, etc. to ignore all external copies, just to avoid the related nightmare with other Python versions.

You don't need to install any other Python version (but you can have them for other purposes)
current python version of GiD 16.0.6d Windows developer is
Python 3.10.5
If do you add some python plugin, or third part modules to GiD must be compatible with this version, and the rest of pythons of your system doesn't matter for GiD.
To install pip based packages in our folder can use our Tcl proc facility
GiD_Python_PipInstall $packages