Renumbering Elements

Moderator: GiD Team

navid_gh

Renumbering Elements

Post by navid_gh »

Hello everyone,
I have created a model of building on GiD.
After finishing the model, I realized that I should make some modifications to model.
So I splitted a surface at lower level into two parts.
Now their ID is not right.
I select utilities —> Renumber, but it only fills the gaps.
Also I change the renumbering method but nothing happens and all of the methods work same and they only fill the gaps.
Now I want to renumber all of the elements from the beginning.
Could you help me with this problem?

Thanks
escolano

Re: Renumbering Elements

Post by escolano »

What do you mean by "Now their ID is not right" ?

Element's or geometry renumbering only try to 'fill numeration gaps' (number or elements == max id of element)

Node's renumbering has more features that avoid numeration jumps, depending on the variable you said (to try to provide a 'low bandwidth' in the connectivities matrix, to aid direct solvers)

Note: in geometry mode the renumber tool renumber the geometry, not the mesh, and vice-versa
navid_gh

Post by navid_gh »

Hi,
Thanks for answering.
By saying the IDs are not right, I mean I want that the elements in lower levels to have lower IDs.
I want to renumber elements in respect to Z axis or distance from a specific coordinate (i.e. 0,0,0)
navid_gh

Post by navid_gh »

Hi,
If it is not possible change the elements ID in some ordered format automatically, then how can I change the them manually
escolano

Post by escolano »

I think that it doesn't exists any way to renumber nodes or elements manually or through scripting.

Is this re-numeration really necessary?
Maybe you can use other approach to do what you want to reach (e.g. using groups, layers, materials or conditions to attach extra information)
If do you wan't, you can explain a little more your final target to do better suggestions.

I recommend you to do this re-numeration inside your solver, if do you have access to the source code, or with an intermediate auxiliary code.

As a dark trick, maybe you can save the GiD model to disk, externally modify the mesh file, and reload it in GiD, but I don't recommend you this approach. Note: by default GiD geometry and mesh files have binary format, is possible to export in an easier ASCII format (Files->Export->ASCII project)
navid_gh

Post by navid_gh »

I use OpenSees which is based on code,
so when I want to calculate and record sth for a specific node on different stories of a building, I want those nodes to have a mathematical relation so I can implement in code.
escolano

Post by escolano »

You are talking about 'a specific node'. Then do you need the re-numeration for nodes or for elements?

For nodes you can set the GiD variable RenumberMethod to 2 to renumber the nodes following the XYZ axes
e.g. you can set this variable writting this Tcl command in the lower entry (-np- mean that is a Tcl command)
-np- GiD_Set RenumberMethod 2

And to identify different parts you can create a group for each stage, and assign to the group the geometry entities of this step (generating the mesh the nodes/elements will inherit the group of its geometrical source entity)