Export sphere centre data

Moderator: GiD Team

Bernd93

Export sphere centre data

Post by Bernd93 »

Dear GiD forum users/support,

I just started exploring GiD and I was wondering whether it is possible to got the data of the centres of all the spheres within a mesh.

Another question I had is what is the unit used in GiD(mm,cm,m)?

Thanks in advance!

Bernd
escolano

Re: Export sphere centre data

Post by escolano »

Do you mean the center of a mesh of sphere elements? or a geometric volume with shape of sphere?

You can see the centers of shepere-elements of multiple ways,
e.g.
you can simply export the mesh in GiD ASCII format
Files->Export->GiD Mesh...
and then open the file with a text editor. The coordinates of the single node of the sphere element are the sphere center. The element will print also its radius.

In case of a geometry, GiD internally don't know if a volume is 'spherical'. But you can recover its center for example from some of its curves
e.g. with
Geometry->Create->Point
and then in the contextual menu of the mouse select
ArcCenter
and pick a arc line.

GiD itself doesn't has units, but most problemtypes use units with several approaches, in this case units appear somehow when loading the problemtype (for its used magnitudes, not only for the length magnitude of the model).
The length of the model (geometry/mesh) is a very special magnitude, it is usual that the user must declare (in some place dependent of the problemtype) which is the magnitude of the model (e.g. meters, inches, etc.)

Maybe in future versions GiD will handle the unit of the model, independently of the problemtypes, we are studying it...