GiDOpenMaterials command - use information from xml-file

Moderator: GiD Team

pgeissler

GiDOpenMaterials command - use information from xml-file

Post by pgeissler »

Hallo,

I implemented a problem type for GiD vs. 9 and now I want to update it and use the new features of GiD vs. 13. I have a little question. In vs.9 the command "GiDOpenMaterials" open a window where you can choose the materials defined in .mat file. Now it's also possible to define the materials in a XML-file instead of using the mat-file.

That's a nice way but I don't know how to connect the information in this XML-file with the GiDOpenMaterials command. At the Moment the Material-window is opened but you can't choose any material. Is there an easy way to do this connection?

Thanks
Peter
escolano

Re: GiDOpenMaterials command - use information from xml-file

Post by escolano »

In fact the procedure already exists in GiD 13, but its syntax was (like in GiD 9.x)
GidOpenMaterials
(with the 'd' lowercase)

This command show the window of 'classical materials' (defined in the .mat file)

the xml define another alternative way of create a problemtype, with different kind of data, (for example it is not using classical materials)
Intenally it store some data at xml (DOM) level, and select different parts of the model using GiD groups, that are collection of geometry/mesh entities.

The customization manual is explaining this new approach (named customLib in some parts of the document)

The old 'classical problemtype system' explanation has been moved to the appendix B of current documentation, and continue working with current versions of GiD
pgeissler

Post by pgeissler »

So it is not possible to combine both ways and list materials defined in XML-file in classcial material window.
Thanks for your answer.
Peter
escolano

Post by escolano »

Really it is possible to use a mix of both problemtype systems to attach data to parts.

You can define classical materials and also other data of the customLib tree, but the materials won't be represented in this tree but in the classical materials window

In general probably if do you use the 'customLib approach' you don't need to use the 'classical approach' (but you can)