3-component matrices and 2-component vectors

Moderator: GiD Team

vpapanik

3-component matrices and 2-component vectors

Post by vpapanik »

Dear GiD support,

I am trying to produce a .res file for a 2D problem which requires a 3-component matrix (e.g. S11,S22,S12), however
there's no way to declare a 3-component matrix properly. I tried these :

1. Using 'Result' and Matrix - the postprocessor requires 6 components and 6 results by default. If I use a lower number of component
names, the others are automatically filled.

2. Using 'ResultGroup' and Matrix:3 - the postprocessor requires 3 components, places the results in the correct place of the 6-component
matrix but again it fills the other names automatically.

I just need to get three results instead of six in the postprocessor window. Is that possible, or it is scheduled for a future version ?
Thanks a lot in advance.

PS. Same applies to a 2-component vector as well. The only way to do this for now, is to provide actually 6 results (with zeros for unwanted components, using a 'N/A' label for that component).
escolano

Re: 3-component matrices and 2-component vectors

Post by escolano »

In the GiD postprocess results file you can define 2D results, e.g. for a matrix (tensor) result you can provide
in 2D models only 3 values of the 2x2 symmetric tensor, in this order: Sxx Syy Sxy
in 3D models 6 values of the 3x3 symmetric tensor, in this order: Sxx Syy Szz Sxy Syz Sxz
(in case of 2D but with z component not zero could use 'PlainDeformationMatrix' that expects 4 values: Sxx Syy Sxy Szz)
http://www.gidhome.com/documents/custom ... res/Result
But you are rigth and internally GiD always stores everything in 3D (e.g. 3x3 tensor and 3D vectors)
vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

Thank you a lot for your prompt reply !

Yes, I do exactly this, however GiD still shows the unused components in the menu and assigns default names to them. I am trying to find a way to show ONLY e.g. Sxx,Syy,Sxy in the toolbar menu.
escolano

Post by escolano »

we will study to implement it (hidde 3d components in 2D cases) for next GiD versions
vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

Yes it would be a good idea just to add Vector2 and Matrix3 in result options !