Lineal load over line

Moderator: GiD Team

jdopazo

Lineal load over line

Post by jdopazo »

I am trying to create a lineal load over node, so, I have to choose two node, at the end a line, assign them load and then calculate using a lineal interpolation the load of the nodes, which are set in the line during the mesh creation. I suppose I have to use #func# but I have not idea how to get the coordinates the nodes at the end of the line
escolano

Re: Lineal load over line

Post by escolano »

Probably a better option is to declare the 'distributed-load' condition over lines -over elements, instead of to over nodes.

And instead a #FUNC# field use Tcl scripting to calculate the linear interpolation and apply conditions with the calculated values
(in tcl you can ask for the applied conditions, the geometry, the mesh and all your data required to do this calculated condition and apply it to some elements).
You can write a Tcl procedure that do this and invoke it automatically just when GiD has meshed, in the event
proc AfterMeshGeneration { fail } {
}

If do you write a proc with this name and parameters it will be automatically invoked by GiD (this is our definition of a Tcl GiD-event)
kstn

Post by kstn »

Hello, I would like to assert a bit to this thread. In fact, I truly want to define the distributed load over lines in 3D. The syntax below works fine in 2D

CONDITION: Distributed_Line_Load
CONDTYPE: over lines
CONDMESHTYPE: over face elements multiple

but in 3D, when I assigned this condition to a like of a face. It does not produce anything. Is there a way to use TCL script to extract the information?
kstn

Post by kstn »

Just another thought, it may be helpful if there is CONDMESHTYPE: over line elements
escolano

Post by escolano »

Probably do you want to attach the condition from geometrical lines to the egdes of volumic finite elements (tretrahedra, hexahedra, prism, pyramid)
something like this

CONDMESHTYPE: over edge elements

unfortunatelly as you said 'over edge elements' is not implemented, maybe we will implement it for future versions...

Nowadays the approach could be to explicitly force to mesh the line elements, of the lines (by default the lines and surfaces that belong to a volume only generate the volume elements, not the surface or line elements of dependent entities)

then it is possible to apply a condition 'over body elemente' to these line elements (to the whole 'body element', not to some of its parts like a 'face element' or 'edge element')

CONDMESHTYPE: over body elements
kstn

Post by kstn »

Hi

I did as you suggested. But I also received from the line condition some elements

For example

Begin ElementalData ACTIVATION_LEVEL
*set cond Line_Activation_Level *elems
*add cond Surface_Activation_Level *elems
*add cond Volume_Activation_Level *elems
*format "%i%i"
*loop elems
*ElemsNum *cond(1)
*end elems
End ElementalData

will also print out those line conditions as elements. THis is not preferred since those lines shall not be accounted as elements.
Is there other solution?
escolano

Post by escolano »

I dont' understand exactly your casuistic,
if you don't want to be printed the line elements with the condition named 'Line_Activation_Level', dont' apply this condition to its geometrical curve.
kstn

Post by kstn »

You're right. I delete those Line_Activation_Level from the problemtype. Now it's fine.

The problem for the hesitance to change is that it's the legacy problemtype, and it maybe dangerous to remove something. But I'll see.