Selecting Elements "over volumes"

Moderator: GiD Team

Oswaldo

Selecting Elements "over volumes"

Post by Oswaldo »

Hi,
I am having some doubts about the customization of GID (version 11.0.6)
In a mesh of a surface, you can select the edges of each global element separately , to enter the values as degrees of freedom loaded and intensity. This part of the .cnd file would look like this:
NUMBER: 22 CONDITION: Edge_Load
CONDTYPE: over lines
CONDMESHTYPE: over face elements
The mesh of a volume, must also select each face of each global element of this volume separately (CONDITION:Face_Load). It would not be all the element as used in "over body elements", but only one face of the element.
It is possible?
Note: I only work with programming.
escolano

Re: Selecting Elements "over volumes"

Post by escolano »

Note: in the .cnd you can avoid to specify NUMBER: xx before each condition, then it is easier to insert/remove conditions when your code evolve.

About your question, for volume elements, you can mark with a condition some faces in the same way as the case of 'edges' for surface elements.
You must specify CONDMESHTYPE: over face elements (not 'over body elements' that mean the whole element)
e.g.

Code: Select all

CONDITION: Face_Load
CONDTYPE: over surfaces
CONDMESHTYPE: over face elements
Then apply the condition over the surfaces that belong to the boundary of the volume. When generating the mesh, the faces of the tetrahedra on the surface will have this condition applied (the condition is really applied to the element, but storing also a 'local face index' that represent the element face)
Oswaldo

Post by Oswaldo »

Hello
I Didn't understand the last paragraph. I want to apply this condition on the selected volume faces for one or more faces.
If I specify in "CONDMESHTYPE:over face elements", I can't select the faces.
With the mouse's left button I can delimit a area, but when I released it doesn't keep the faces selected.
Thank you,
Oswaldo.
Attachments
Selecting area of some faces
Selecting area of some faces
Exemplo_GID.JPG (102.39 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

It seems that something is broken in latest versions and the graphical selection of faces of volume elements (tetrahedra) is not working well. We will fix it soon for next versions.
It seems that it works for surface elements (triangles:. a condition over lines -> over face elements. the faces of the triangles are edges in this case)

In any case I unrecommended you to try to assign the condition directly manually directly to the element faces, the selection could be near impossible and your manual work will be lost if do you re-mesh with another size.

The appropriated way is to assign your condition to the surface and generate the mesh, then tetrahedra faces touching this surface will inherit the condition (from the conditions window you can draw and list, in geometry or mesh view, the entities and values of the selected condition to verify that they are as you want)