moving specific nodes/elems to a different layer

Moderator: GiD Team

amit12kd

moving specific nodes/elems to a different layer

Post by amit12kd »

Hi,

I am trying to move nodes that lie on a specifc line that exist in the inside of my complex domain to a different layer so that I can visualize and fetch node numbers and the coordinates with ease for those nodes. Is there a way to to select all nodes that lie on that line and move all of them at one go to a different layer?

Thanks
escolano

Re: moving specific nodes/elems to a different layer

Post by escolano »

After the generation of nodes and elements they doesn't have any reference to its geometrical source entities, then is not possible to select the nodes or elements that belong to this entity. (there is only a dark trick assignign a condition with a field #FUNC#(NumEntity) to preserve the geometry entity number in mesh entities)

You can send the curve to the layer you want and generate the mesh again, then its elements will inherit the curvelayer.
amit12kd

Post by amit12kd »

Hi,

I did try moving the curve to a different layer but I'm creating a volumetric mesh that has nodes on the curve (and the volume belongs to the orignal layer) so the nodes on the curve doesn't show up in the new layer where my curve lies. I'm running 12.1.1d developer version of GID. Is there something else I need to do? Also could you eloborate on the dark trick that you mentioned.

Thanks
escolano

Post by escolano »

The nodes of the curve will be in the layer of the curve, but by default nodes are not visualized on the mesh.

set off all layers but the line layer and show the node labels:

Code: Select all

View->Labels->All in->Nodes
You will see that the nodes are really in this layer.

You can also switch on/off the visualization of nodes writtin this command in the lower command line:
escape view entities nodes escape

In fact the normal way to work is to load a problemtype for your specific application, and then assign conditions to the entities, and automatically the mesh inherit these conditions, and all data is written byt the problemtype template in the input file with the format expected by the application.
You can read more about what is a GiD problemtype at the customization manual: http://www.gidhome.com/component/manual ... troduction