interface element

Moderator: GiD Team

kstn

interface element

Post by kstn »

Hi

I have a question on the "Over face elements" condition in .cnd file. In the customization manual, it says that "If this condition is applied to a line that is the boundary of a surface or to a surface that is the boundary of a volume, this condition is transferred to the higher elements, marking the affected face". I don't know what "marking the affected face" means. But in my case, I want to assign the interface condition to a boundary surfaces of a volume. It turns out that no interface elements are produced. Although if there is only the surface, the interface elements are created well. Is there a workaround/solution to this problem?

Regards,
Bui
escolano

Re: interface element

Post by escolano »

In your case do you have a volume, and a condition applied to a surface of this volume.

A condition declared 'over face elements' when meshing automatically apply the condition to 'some index face' of the tetrahedra.
A tetraedron has four faces, with local intex 1,2,3,4 (the faces are implict , it doesn't exists in GiD any physical 'face' object)

The surface triangles are not generated, they are unneded because the condition is attached to the tetrahedra plus a local index (from 1 to 4) that specify the face (that is on the surface where the condition was applied)

It is possible to use another alternative approach, that I think that is what you were expecting: declare the condition as 'over body elements', and explicitly force the surface of the volume to be meshed (e.g. with Mesh->Mesh criteria->Mesh surface->...)
then the triangles will be created and the contition will mark the whole element (not a extra face 1,2,3, in this case an edge of the triangle)