Staggered analysis

Moderator: GiD Team

wfmoralesp

Staggered analysis

Post by wfmoralesp »

Hi,

I'm working on a project that requires several stages to be performed, i.e. modifying materials (to simulate excavations), adding elements (for instance linear elements for lining), etc.

I wonder if GiD has a preprocessing capability to handle this. I thought about using 'intervals' but those are only for modifying general parameters of the problem. What I need is to be able to set up different geometry escenarios for each stage. Is that possible?

thx in advance,

Ferney
escolano

Re: Staggered analysis

Post by escolano »

As you pointed probably you must handle it using 'GiD intervals'
Each interval has its own values of the 'interval data' (some values not assigned to entities, like the general data)
and also its own set of conditions (to simulate different stages along the interval steps)

About the geometry/mesh, if it is changing along the interval steps, maybe you can have a single full mesh
and activate or deactivate parts along the steps for the simulation (parts marked somehow, with a condition of the internal, or using groups or layers)
if you use groups/layers you can store in some field of the interval data the list of 'active groups' of this interval.