Issue in making animation video

Moderator: GiD Team

vpapanik

Issue in making animation video

Post by vpapanik »

I am trying to make an animation video of specific duration (e.g. I have 4000 steps and need to make a video of 20 seconds).
However, I cannot possibly get it to work, I select 'duration', enter 20 seconds, but the produced video is WAY longer than that...

am I doing something terribly wrong or is it a possible bug ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
miguel

Re: Issue in making animation video

Post by miguel »

Hi vpapanik,
The thing is that the maximum supported frame-rate when creating videos in GiD is 24 fps. This means that each time-step will last for 40 ms.
If you have 4000 time-steps, the shortest video that you can do with the current GiD is 160 s.

If you want the video to be 20 seconds long with the 400' time-steps, that means that each time-step will last for 5 ms for a frame-rate of 200 fps.

The solution to this problem is to:
- select some time-steps to achieve the 20 seconds limit ( @ 24fps this means use only 1 out of 8-9 time-steps)
- or allow higher fps on the videos ( @ 200 fps may be some video players are unable to show your video, remember that usually the screen rate i 60Hz)
- or a combination of the above 2 options, for instance at 60fps 1 out of 3-4 time-steps will be used.

At the moment this cannot be done in GiD, (it's a known problem), hope to solve it soon.

By now, the only way is to reduce the number of time-steps in gid, or with VirtualDub, or another video editing program, to shorten the video externally.

Another possibility is to generate images from each time-step (you can do it directly from the Animation window), instead of generating a video, and then with an external program, select some of these images ( 1 out of 8-9) to create a video.
For instance using ffmpeg : https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Slideshow

Best,

The GiDTeam
vpapanik

Post by vpapanik »

Dear Miguel,

Thanks for your prompt reply and your help ! I think that the best way is to skip frames, i.e. run the animation for every e.g. 10 steps.
Is that possible in the animation window or only manually ?
escolano

Post by escolano »

No, now there is not any option in GiD to sub-sample (jump) some time steps for the animation
Maybe external tools like the related 'virtualDub' allow force this total time, removing some frames if there are too much.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Hi,
since GiD version 13.1.8d (the current one is 14.0) this issue has been addressed.
Now the Time length is respected, and will skip the visualization of some time-steps to respect the time length set by the user.
So in the example of creating an animation video of 20 seconds with 4000 time-steps, i.e. 200 time-steps per second and given that the rate is 25fps, only 1 out of 8 will be used to create the animation.
Best,