16 Gauss points on a surface

Moderator: GiD Team

kstn

16 Gauss points on a surface

Post by kstn »

Hello

I tried to define the results for non-standard Gauss point using the Given option. In this case 16 GPs are plotted on the quad9 surface. The result using Contour Fill does not show the smoothed interpolation results but rather the color plot on point. May I know why?

Ciao
Giang
Attachments
Snapshot.png
Snapshot.png (39.39 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
escolano

Re: 16 Gauss points on a surface

Post by escolano »

With 'non-standard' gauss points it is not implemented any extrapolation of the values from your 'amount and arbitrary location of gauss points' to the nodes of the element.
(e.g. from 4x4 gauss points on the location of your picture to the 4 nodes of a 'quad4' or to the 9 nodes of a quadratic 'quad9'

Then GiD is not able to represent a contour fill on the quadrilateral domain. It will only represent it with a sphere located on each gauss point painted with the color on this location. You can set a scale factor for the radius of these spheres, to be able to see the color.

I recommend you that instead of write the resuls on the 4x4 gauss points (used for your internal calculation), do you write for postprocess the results on the 9 nodes of the element, e.g. approximating by a minimum squares to solve the overdeterminated equations sytem.
Or if the physical result is continuous instead of gaussian (by-element) results I recommend to write nodal results, with a result by node (averaging the discontinous result of each element on the node)