fast visualization settings

Moderator: GiD Team

adityag

fast visualization settings

Post by adityag »

Hello
I have sometimes huge mesh sizes 10-50 Million elements.
Is there a way/setting in GiD to make the visualization fast ? Parallel visualization etc .. ?
Any suggestions in this direction are really helpful. Currently for a 10 million mesh, it takes about 20-25 minutes for the results to load that is for about 10 time steps of result. I run this 10 million mesh with 15 processors so there are 15 output files which I merge to make the result.
escolano

Re: fast visualization settings

Post by escolano »

Some suggestions of Utilities->Preferences... for big models:
Graphical -> system
1- Use 'Fast visualization mode'
2- set 'Vertex buffer objects' drawing method
3- disable Antialiasing, and selection lines by software
4- use textures to draw spheres (but probably you are not using this kind of element)
Post files
5-Enable use result cache (to not load in memory simultaneously all results if it is not necessary)
and set a maximum size of MB according to your system.
6-Enable 'use indexed binaries' and 'use indexed results information'
If you are using ASCII results file try to write them using binary format, they become smaller and are read fasty (specially enabling restults cache and indexing)
Note: you can export you current results as binary with Files->Export->Post information->Binary
you will see that reading next time will be much faster.

If the mesh is very big you can also enable
in Graphical -> system: Fast rotation, and draw for example only the lines of the geometry when rotating the mesh
and
in Graphical->Simplified view could create in postprocess a coarse mesh based on both geometry and results, for visualization purposes