output in postprocess

Moderator: GiD Team

gchen

output in postprocess

Post by gchen »

Dear Friends

In Gid 12.0 postprocess, when I use "several graphs" to output the results of several points versus time, then "Export"->"graph", if I open the output file in excel, the data are stored in two columns with the results at different points locating one after the other. In most cases, I would like the data opened in excel file has the format like "first column: time; 2nd column: results of the 1st point; 3rd column: results of the 2nd point, and so on".
Does someboday have good experience with the data arrangement?

Thanks in advance!
gchen
escolano

Re: output in postprocess

Post by escolano »

Files->Export->Graph (or contextual menu Export->Graph) as you said write the graphs data in a simple text format (gnu-plot like in the past) that could be easily read also by Microsoft Excel (using spaces as separator).

Each graph is written as a x-y two columns.
In general it is not possible to write all graphs of the same 'graph set' as multiple-columns as you suggest.
x y1 y2 ... yn
because x are not shared (equal) for all graphs. Only in some particular case like plot a collection of points along the time steps the x is the same for all graphs (because all have the same time steps)

I think that you must manually edit in Excel the data to have the multi-columns you want (to facilitate create the graphs in Excel).

Off course it is possible (and easy) to write a user-macro in Tcl language to export graph data with the syntax you want in a text file.

Code: Select all

GiD_Graph list
return a list of the graphs (of the current graphset in use)
and

Code: Select all

GiD_Graph get <graph_name> 
return its titles and x-y data

Another comment: in the 'options' tab of the graphs window you can select a graph and press the 'Show table' button.
Then a table will show the graph values. You can modify its values and also use copy/paste to transfer the selected values to Excel (without export them to an auxiliary file).
Clicking the headers of the table the whole columns will be selected.
gchen

Re: output in postprocess

Post by gchen »

Dear Escolano

Thanks a lot for your useful information!

Kind regards
gchen