Structured mesh

Moderator: GiD Team

markus94:gr

Structured mesh

Post by markus94:gr »

Hey,

I have a question about structured mesh.

Why is it not possible to make a structured mesh, when
one of the surfaces are divided ?

When all of the surfaces of the volume are jointed together, it is possible to divide
my lines in to an amount of cells, but when I divide one of the surfaces it isn't.

Thank you for your Help.
escolano

Re: Structured mesh

Post by escolano »

A Structured volume must be topologically like a cube, and nowadays in GiD it must have exactly 6 surfaces (and these surfaces must be topologically like a square with 4 lines). The amount of divisions on opposite surfaces/lines must be the exactly the same

Allow the case where some of the surfaces of the volume is divided (parallel to sides) complicate a lot the dependencies to ensure a compatible number of division of connected parts, and also difficult to create a structured mesh that is deformed to fit the possible required number of divisions on each line, also in case that the user has set a compatible amount.

In structured surfaces we have relaxed a little the strong requirement of require exactly 4 lines, and we allow that lines are divided, and try to find a compatible amount of divisions preserving the number of divisions set by the user or by the dependencies of other entities, but as I've said this is hard and not always possible to be reached.