Contact Surface meshing issue

Moderator: GiD Team

AndreConde

Contact Surface meshing issue

Post by AndreConde »

Hello,

An issue has surfaced regarding Contact Surface meshing and I have not found any information about it in this forum. Below is a description of the issue:

*I start from any 2D model including a Contact Surface, the model has already been meshed with a general mesh size (e.g. 0.1)
*Then I assign an unstructured mesh size on lines (e.g. 0.02) to the contour lines of the Contact Surface and re-mesh it.
*The resulting mesh does not change, i.e. it ignores the assigned size 0.02.
*After that I assign unstructured mesh size 0.02 on surfaces to the Contact Surface and re-mesh it.
*Now the mesh only changes at the end points of the Contact Surface, the rest of the surface and lines still ignore the assigned size 0.02.
*Next I close the GiD model, open it again, and without making any changes I re-mesh it again.
*After this, the entire contact surface is using the right size of 0.02 that I had assigned it.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I find it odd that without making any change (just closing and reopening the model) you get a different mesh.

Here I attach a simple example model.

Thank you.
Attachments
Contact.gid.zip
(16.86 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
escolano

Re: Contact Surface meshing issue

Post by escolano »

I have tested your model with GiD 15.0.1 and it seems a bug of GiD,

It is caching the mesh of entities (to save the effort of mesh it again to obtain the same mesh)
but in this case really you have changed the mesh size of the line and then its cache must be invalidated and seem that is not doing properly.

As you noted you can do the trick of save and read again the model and then mesh again. This will destroy the cached meshes, because this information is not saved to disk.

We will try to fix it for next GiD versions