Obscure geometry-to-mesh error in waveguide model

Moderator: GiD Team

orb

Obscure geometry-to-mesh error in waveguide model

Post by orb »

Hello all,

Just joined, and I have a mesh error question for HOBBIES users on this forum. If there is a different forum better suited to the HOBBIES platform, please let me know.

I'm constructing a microwave waveguide model, consisting of a conducting plate on which a rectangular tube is joined, open at both ends. I encounter a geometry-to-mesh error (see attachments) if a NURB surface is placed within either the top or the bottom of the waveguide section (side presence is ok). Could someone please advise me what this error description means so that I can fix the model?

Thank you very much!
Oliver Barrett
Sunnyvale, CA USA
Waveguide structure mesh generation.png
Waveguide structure mesh generation.png (186.65 KiB) Viewed 9808 times
Geometry to mesh error.png
Geometry to mesh error.png (196.99 KiB) Viewed 9808 times
Waveguide structure on flat plate.png
Waveguide structure on flat plate.png (139.86 KiB) Viewed 9808 times
escolano

Re: Obscure geometry-to-mesh error in waveguide model

Post by escolano »

I don't know how to use Hobbies, and the kind of conditions that must be applied for the simulation,
but in general this error message is because you have applied a condition named 'LinesToElements' to some line that belong to some surface.
and the condition has been declared to be applied on the mesh to be 'on body elements', this mean that is expected that some line-element is created from the geometric curve, to assign to this line-element the condition.

In your model the lines belong to surfaces, then by default only the surface elements (quadrilaterals) are generated, and the condition declaration don't allow to be assigned to a 'face of quadrilateral'

probably
a) you must not apply this kind a condition to lines that belong to surfaces, only to 'isolated lines'
or
b) you must specify that the lines of the surfaces must also generate in the final mesh its line elements
(e.g. Use Mesh->Mesh criteria->Mesh and select these or all lines)

For specific questions about how to use Hobbies must directly ask its developers
orb

Re: Obscure geometry-to-mesh error in waveguide model

Post by orb »

Escolano,

Thank you for the suggestions, it looks like the lines in my model that are intended to define surfaces need to be designated differently from isolated lines during the meshing process in a certain way. I’ll see what I can do to work in that direction.

Oliver Barrett