Different elements sizes

Moderator: GiD Team

albasha

Different elements sizes

Post by albasha »

Hi there,
I am creating a model with different parts. I am trying to mesh each part with different elements sizes, however when I am meshing one part with different elements sizes, the other adjacent parts also affected by the new elements sizes. Kindly, could you let me know the possibility of defining different elements sizes for each part without affecting the adjacent parts?
Kind regards
Bashar
escolano

Re: Different elements sizes

Post by escolano »

If the parts are connected by some shared line then by continuity one part affects the other part!!

If they are non connected at all then maybe are affected by the 'Automatic correct sizes' (that will decrease big sizes assigned close to small sizes)
To do it go to Utilities->Preferences... Meshing->General, try 'Automatic correct sizes' to None, but then you must assign sized accurately to be able to generate a mesh.

If your parts are connected but your physics really doesn't require this continuity you can try to modify the geometry with the tool
Geometry->Edit->Uncollapse
in order to create a duplication of entities for each part.
vidya31

Post by vidya31 »

What are the different element sizes?
escolano

Post by escolano »

You can assign to each geometric entity the approximated mesh size that do you want, when the mesh will be created
marcosasilva

Post by marcosasilva »

Hello,

I'm trying to use solid elements with quadratic formulation and linear formulation in the same model.

The concrete portion of the model uses quadratic elements whereas the steel plate should use elements with linear formulation.

However, even after I've marked Non-quadratic Element in the element geometry, the model still generation quadratic elements on the steel plate.
Looking at the mesh generated it is possible to see intermediate nodes.

Am I doing something wrong?

The steel plate used Solid_Elastic material and was named Placas.
The model attached was created in GID 10.0.9
Attachments
FCU-WWO1-QM2.gid.zip
Compressed model
(237.81 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

The quadratic/linear degree is a global variable in GiD,
it is not a property that could be assigned with different values to the geometrical entities, like mesh sizes or element types.

Then all elements generated are linear or are quadratic, but cannot be mixed
(only with dark tricks is possible a mix of degrees, like importing a linear mesh in a quadratic one)

On the other hand, for the simulation side, the problemtype or the calculation program could write or calculate a quadratic mesh like it was linear, writing only the first corner nodes.
e.g. The problemtype could mark entities with some attached attribute (like group, condition, material, etc.) to identify that it must be considered as linear although has quadratic degree in GiD
marcosasilva

Post by marcosasilva »

Ok, now I have understand.
Thank you