Transferring load and boundary conditions to mesh

Moderator: GiD Team

naledi

Transferring load and boundary conditions to mesh

Post by naledi »

Good day

I am having an issue in my generated model whereby the load and boundary conditions I assigned to my geometry are not being transferred to my mesh, and in my input file they don't appear either. The image below shows the error I received:
thumbnail_IMG_2575.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2575.jpg (190.55 KiB) Viewed 3032 times

While I had changed the .cnd file as suggested (from 'on body elements' to 'on face elements') the load and boundary conditions (Displacement_Surface-Constraint, Traction and Pore_Pressure-Constraint) still don't appear in the input file.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

A smaller issue I am experiencing is that I still have line and triangle elements in my mesh even though I specified the geometry should have tetrahedral elements. The following image shows the geometry and generated mesh:
Screenshot from 2016-10-15 10-58-23.png
Screenshot from 2016-10-15 10-58-23.png (40.22 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
Again, your help in this regard is greatly appreciated.
escolano

Re: Transferring load and boundary conditions to mesh

Post by escolano »

If you declare a condition 'over surface' -> 'over body elements' GiD expect to a assign it to surfacic elements (triangles or quadrilaterals)
by the screen messages seems that the triangles of some of the surfaces with this condition applied are not generating triangles in the final mesh, probably because belong to a volume and only the tetrahedra are generated)

Do you have two options:
a) force the surfaces 'to be meshed' to generate in the final mesh the triangle to apply them the conditions (Mesh->Mesh criteria->Mesh->Surfaces)
b) declare the condition al 'over face elements', and then only the tetrahedra must be generated, and GiD expect to find a tetrahedra with a face that match the triangle that could be generated from the surface, and then assign the condition to the tetrahedra, specifying also one of its faces.

Depending on the option the data is different: triangles and condion applied to the triangle or tetrahedra and condition applied to a face index of the tetrahedra, and off course the way to ask and write this information must be according to the kind of data.

About the other question, you are obtaining 2 unwanted triangles, the cause could be
-that do you have an isolated (not belonging to any volume) extra surface, that must be deleted,
-or you don't have any isolated surface (higherentity==0) but you have expliciltly set as 'to be meshed' and then it generate its triangles.