Meshing problem after importing

Moderator: GiD Team

JKPstatic

Meshing problem after importing

Post by JKPstatic »

Hi,

I'm working with GiD 11.0.8. I would like to model a staircase with a very complicated geometry. I got the geometry in .igs file, and imported to GiD. The full staircase is one volume. If I try to mesh the volume I always get different error messages (can't map this point, Can't generate mesh etc.), and the program cannot mesh the volume. If I delete the volume, the meshing operation is working well for surfaces. My geometry is closed, because I can re-generate the volume too. Could be the problem because of I use only one volume, and should I do separate, smaller volumes? Or is there some option which with I can allow the non- recommended element geometry too? Or could be the problem because of the importing? I tried to delete all the surface too and regenerate it, but it didn't solved the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help!
escolano

Re: Meshing problem after importing

Post by escolano »

By your explanation probably the problem is that the shape of the surface mesh (triangles) is not good enougth to be filled with tetrahedra.
For example maybe the triangles of near surfaces are intersecting, or there are very different sizes between near faces and it is impossible its connection with tetraheda.
I recommend you to generate the surface mesh (Mesh->Mesh criteria->Mesh->Surfaces), and have a look to this mesh near the point that the volume mesher usually provide when cannot generate the volume mesh.

Once detected the problem maybe you can solve it assigning locally to some lines/surfaces an appropiated mesh size, or modifying the geometry of some problematic part, or changing some mesh preferences setting: I recommend you to set 'Rsurf' surface mesher, and set 'automatic correct sizes' to hard.

If do you attach the IGES file I can do some tests (you can send it me privatelly if you prefer)
JKPstatic

Post by JKPstatic »

Thank you for the quick answer. I would like to send to you the IGES file, but I cannot upload it to the forum, because it is confidential. Could you please send to me an e-mail address for which I can send the file directly?
escolano

Post by escolano »

ok, I will contact you with a private message of this forum