Mesh interface

Moderator: GiD Team

Fiki

Mesh interface

Post by Fiki »

Hi,

I´m new to GiD. I have a problem when meshing the gap element. So, I have two concrete blocks one uopon another. I have assigned interface for the area that is tuching each other. I mesh the block with Hexa and then the interface with Mesh-condition-surface. When I do this, GiD whants me to make the element type of blocks Tetra. So I do this, then the calculations can´t start as this error is written:

Message in line number 57. error: Material "CC3DInterface" is not permited for Element Type: Line, Triangle, Quad, Tetrahedron, Point

Then I try with different element type for the blocks, however, the mesh can´t even strat as the error is written:

Volume 1 can only be meshed with tetra and it has other element type assigned.

So this is a loop :lol:

Thank you in forward!
abelcs

Re: Mesh interface

Post by abelcs »

Hello,

I'm not sure if I've understood well your case. You have to consider that unstructured volumes must be meshed with tetras, so their surfaces will have triangles. In case you want to mesh with hexas, you must set the volumes as structured (6-faced volumes), or semi-structured (topologically prismatic volumes).

You can use the Mesh->Draw options in order to see what you have already assigned to your model, and in case you want to begin to assign again, you can set 'Mesh->Reset mesh data' in order to unassign all the meshing properties assigned.

regards,

ABEL
escolano

Post by escolano »

By default current GiD versions will generate tetrahedra for volumes, also setting it to be meshed as structured.
In order to have hexahedra you must also explicitly assign it to your volume (Mesh->Element type->Hexahedra) and select your volumes.

And as Abel said it is not possible to generate unstructured hexahedra with GiD, only structured, or semi-structured (with unstructured quadrilaterals on its tops)
Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Thanks guys, I´ve menaged to figure it out. I haven´t defined the contact well (I´ve selected only one surface :roll: )