Contact separated volume - meshing problem?

Moderator: GiD Team

mpentek

Contact separated volume - meshing problem?

Post by mpentek »

Hello,

I am running fluid simulation where I have a rectangular cylinder as the flow domain. So I basically set up a cube-like domain: 6 surfaces and a volume. 2 surfaces facing each other should have matching nodes on mesh. This I create using Contact Separated Volume. While in some cases it works, for other meshing parameters I get some bad results. This means, that once the meshing is done, I turn on surface renderering to look at the mesh. Sometimes there are "wholes" on the surface. Nonetheless, the simulation seems to pull through. Is this just a visualization artefact?

I have uploaded my examples.

For View -> Mode -> Mesh and View -> Render -> Flat: there are "holes" on the surface.
Mesh seems to be ok with View -> Render -> Normal. Also, if I choose postprocessing (it is a solved Kratos Problemtype), View Results -> Contour Fill -> Velocity -> Velocity X: results are as expected, and seem ok all around the surface and in the domain.

Thanks,
Máté
Attachments
ContactVolume1_mono.gid.zip
Example file - postprocessing *.bin was too large to add.
(256.49 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
amelendo

Re: Contact separated volume - meshing problem?

Post by amelendo »

Don't worry mpentek is only a visualization effect.

It seems that GiD has a bug managing overlapping pyramid and tetrahedra elements.

Usually GiD only show the faces of elements that have higher entity different from 2, but this must be changed when using overlapping volumes as contact volumes.

Sorry for the inconveniences, we will try to solve this for next version.