Mesher Quality: RSurf vs RFast

Moderator: GiD Team

amit12kd

Mesher Quality: RSurf vs RFast

Post by amit12kd »

Hi,

I am trying to create a nearly uniform meshes for a geometry that contains a curved edge (planar surface though). I used both RSurf and RFast meshers, and RFast seems to give me elements with bad aspect ratio. Is there a tcl command or some other way to export the aspect ratios for each element created by GID?

Also, automatic size correction seems to refine my mesh around the curved portion, so I turned it off since I do not require refinement. But this seems to produce distorted elements as well.

Thanks,
Amit
escolano

Re: Mesher Quality: RSurf vs RFast

Post by escolano »

If the surface is planar Rfast and Rsurf will probably provide similar mesh quality.
You can see a graph of the mesh quality, with different 'quality filters' (minimum angle, minimum edge length, etc)
Mesh->Mesh quality
The graph show the amount of elements on each quality range ( the accumulated graph or a frequency graph)

if do you unset the 'automatic correct sizes' you are responsible to set good mesh sizes to entities and ask for an affordable general mesh size.
Have you tried to set mesh sizes to your curves?
Id fo you want a very uniform mesh, you must set also a low 'Unstructured size transition' factor (close to 0)
abelcs

Re: Mesher Quality: RSurf vs RFast

Post by abelcs »

You have also the option to set the 'Smoothing' level in the meshing tab of the preferences window. It may improve (depending on your geometry) the quality of the elements automatically, after generating the mesh.