Volume

Moderator: GiD Team

manishroy

Volume

Post by manishroy »

Hi,

I need to divide a volume into two/three volumes for meshing purpose. I could not divide the volume using GiD/Geometry/Edit/Divide/Volumes/Split. Alternatively, I am trying extrude the volume in steps so that I have more than one volume for the model. My question is whether the created volumes will be in a single part, i.e., do I need to use contact formulation between the common surfaces?

Manish Roy
escolano

Re: Volume

Post by escolano »

To use split to divide a volume, before the splitting collection of surfaces must be intersected with the volume (split must not do any intersection, and won't create or delete lines or points, only could create one or more splitted volumes and the original volume will be deleted on success)

About the simulation, if your domain is represented by several volumes that share its surfaces, lines and points, then it is like having a single volume (the only difference is that the nodes and faces will be present in the volume mesh).

If the surfaces are not shared then for the simulation the volumes are unconnected, to represent some kind of physical connection is necessary to have some 'linking degrees of freedom' condition, or some 'contact' as you said. In any case this depends on the simulation problemtype, not on GiD that is agnostic to the simulation.
manishroy

Re: Volume

Post by manishroy »

Hi escolano,

Thanks for your response.

Regards,
Manish