Problem dividing a line near a point

Moderator: GiD Team

enrique.pascual.gil

Problem dividing a line near a point

Post by enrique.pascual.gil »

I have imported a large curve of 28.5 meters length from a STEP file and I have seen that the representation of the curve is very coarse.
I increased the render precision to 1 but there is no improvement in graphical representation.
The problem come when I try to divide the curve near a point. To select the point I use the Point in Line to have a point in the position where I want to divide the line but the point is not selected or is selected in any other part of the line. I think this behavior is due to the coarse representation because if I divide the line using Num. Divisions the representation is better and I can pick the break point correctly.
Is there any way to increase the precision of the representation of very large curves being possible to pick correctly points in it?
escolano

Re: Problem dividing a line near a point

Post by escolano »

The pick 'point in line' problem is not related to the 'coarse representation' of the curve (it is represented as a mesh o lines).
To calculate the point this 'render mesh' is not used. It is used its internal geometrical representation.
To find the point it numerically solved a non-linear equations system (1x1 only for curves, 2x2 for surfaces) to minimize the distance from the point to the best curve point.
Maybe the solution is not converging with the internally used strategy and tolerances.

On other hand, the accuracy of the 'render mesh' of curves and surfaces could be changed with
Utilities->Preferences... Graphical->Appearance: Geometry render precission (with a factor from 0.0 to 1.0)
Unfortunately also setting the factor to 1.0 could be not enough for a 'good visual representation' of some complex entities (NURBS with a lot of control points)

Please, attach a zip with the model of your curve.
enrique.pascual.gil

Re: Problem dividing a line near a point

Post by enrique.pascual.gil »

Thank you for your fast answer. I send you the STEP file with the line.
Attachments
CA6A_Hilo1.zip
(19.49 KiB) Downloaded 330 times