how to find the material defined before

Moderator: GiD Team

kant916

how to find the material defined before

Post by kant916 »

Dear Sir,
i am a student who want to use GiD to postprocess my OpenSEES model. Now i met a problem when i tried to create my model. I have defined a new standard uniaxial material and tried to assign the material to the elastic beam column element i created. But in the window i can not find the new standard uniaxial material i definde before. There is only elastic isotropic material for the option "Material". How can i solve this problem?
regards
Wei
escolano

Re: how to find the material defined before

Post by escolano »

Do you mean that you have changed the 'problemtype'.mat file to define a new material with its required fields?

The models also store a copy of the materials 'model'.mat, and this copy will have the original 'problemtype'.mat materials (version 1) with the user runtime changes (some value changed, or some new material created derived from another, with the same fields but other values).

To modify an old model to have the new definition of materials of the problemtype (version 2) you must open the model and the reload again the problemtype.
GiD will ask you to completely load the problemtype (all old applied data will be lost) or to try to 'transform' it from v1 to v2.
Use the transform option, and check if everything is ok (it is not always possible)
kant916

Post by kant916 »

Hey escolano,
thank you for your answers. I have fixed the problem.
Now i met a new problem. I want to create a zeroelement in my structure with the use of GiD. For the zeroelement i need two points with the same coordination. But it seems to be unpossible to create two points with the same location in GiD. How can i fix the problem?
regardes
Wei
escolano

Post by escolano »

It is not impossible to create two points in the same x y z location!!

If creating a point very close of another a window ask you (depends on your current user preferences) then select 'No join' to create the new point (Join will use the old existing point)
kant916

Post by kant916 »

then if i want to create a zeroLength element, i need two points at the same location. How should i do? Click the same point twice when i create the zeroLength element? The explanation of zeroLength element in GiDOpenSEES is: Each zeroLength ID must be assigned on at least 2 points!
escolano

Post by escolano »

I don't know what is doing or requiring by GiDOpenSEES, but from the GiD point of view you can create two points with the same x y z coordinates.
each point has its own id.
To select them probably you must not click in screen, because you won't know how of them will select. You can select it in a precise way by entering its id in the command line.

In general is a bad idea to have models with overlapped points/nodes. If do you use tools like 'collapse' they will be joined in a single entity.

Why are these 'zeroLength' elements necessary? Maybe must use 'GiD contact surfaces': it is a 'zero size surface' linking two lines in the same location, to generate 'zero size elements' joining 1-to-1 the nodes in both lines (used usually for the concept of 'contact' of simulations)
Sherril

Post by Sherril »

Thanks a lot this is super useful )!