Surface problem

Moderator: GiD Team

pabloconejos

Surface problem

Post by pabloconejos »

Hi all,

I am trying to mesh a 3D geometry and having trouble with some (complex) surfaces when importing it to GiD.

Surfaces seem not to follow the lines that form them. You can see it in this picture:

I have tried deleting the surfaces, then dividing the lines (without modyfing them) in several segments, then creating the surface again, and it seems to work, but it simply is not practical, and VERY time consuming.

The 3D body is right on the CAD system, and I am able to open it succesfully in two different CAD systems, so it seems like GiD is not dealing properly with some curved surfaces. I have tried changing import tolerance with no success.

I attach a picture of the right geometry as it is seen in the CAD software. It is just the same iges file I import into GiD. I have also tried with parasolid with the same problems.

Any hints on what causes this and a possible solution would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
amelendo

Re: Surface problem

Post by amelendo »

Hi pabloconejos,
For me, it seems that the definition of the surfaces are correct, is just a matter of render precision.
Go to settings->Appearance, and adjust:

Render precision: This option determines the precision with which lines and surfaces are drawn in render mode. To render the NURBS surfaces and lines, an internal mesh is generated according to the precision set with this option. The internal definition of geometric entities does not change. Values: 1.0 to 0.0 from best to worst.

Hope this solve your problem.

If not, you can always try to rebuild the surfaces by boundary using: Geometry->Edit->Rebuild surface by boundary , but some internal information could be lost, since only boundary information is used to rebuild the surface.
pabloconejos

Re: Surface problem

Post by pabloconejos »

Hi amelendo,

Thanks for your help. I have tried your suggestion and it seems like that the render setting was the problem. What a simple thing, but it began happening after several iterations of the same geometry without problems, so I never thought it could be a render issue. It seems like the render has a trigger level from which it begins being unable to show the surfaces properly...

I'll play around and see how the mesh works with the FEA.

Thanks again. Kind regards,

Pablo.