Problems with collapsed surfaces

Moderator: GiD Team

juancho150

Problems with collapsed surfaces

Post by juancho150 »

Hi to everyone!!!!

I need some help with a geometry that i'm trying to do, the problem is that when i try to analize it through finite element methods, it seems that the volume have some surfaces that are collapsed, so i'm looking for a comand or something that help me to fix the collapsed surfaces in order to analyze by Finite element methods.

The volume that i'm modeling is really simple:

a Cilinder by coping lines with a rotation operation. The lines that define my geometry are this:

To create this volume:

I Hope that annyone can help me...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
escolano

Re: Problems with collapsed surfaces

Post by escolano »

Simple delete the line located on the rotation axis: it is creating a degenerated surface along its extrusion.
and repeat the extrusion (extruding surfaces). Then create a volume selecting all surfaces.

If you have unselected the 'collapse' checkbox in the copy window, then you should invoke a Utilities->Collapse in order to join duplicades entities created by the copy.

A final recommendation: in general, closed surfaces (like a full cylinder) are problematic for several algorithms, it is better to have 'two half' open surfaces.
You can do it selecting in the copy window a rotation of 180 degrees and multiple copies=2 instead of a rotation of 360 degrees and multiple copies=1
juancho150

Re: Problems with collapsed surfaces

Post by juancho150 »

Thanks!! I will try that!!!