Boolean operation

Moderator: GiD Team

Wilgid

Boolean operation

Post by Wilgid »

Hi, I am working with GID for a model of historic structure.

I have a problem in a boolean operation of volumes. I need to reduce the level of many walls, but when I try to substract with a big volume that has one coplanar face with the first volume, there is a mesagge that says: "There are open surfaces". I don´t know why the boolean operation doesn´t work well in this case.

Thanks,

Wilson
escolano

Re: Boolean operation

Post by escolano »

Boolean operations are not very robust in GiD. It is a complicated and expensive geometrical operation.

In particular cases with overlapped surfaces with a part of the surface in common , that seems easier from a user point of view, are more problematic that general cases where the surfaces intersect in a curve that must be determined.

Maybe doing some manual change to avoid these 'tangent parts' you will be able to do the boolean operation, and you can also do the steps of a boolean operation manually, but this will spend a lot of your time (basically the steps are intersect entities, split curves and surfaces, collapse repeated parts, classify inner and outer parts, split volumes, and delete unwanted parts)

For complicated cases I recommend you to do this operation in a CAD program, this is a weak point in GiD.

You can also attach your model zipped to have a look to your particular case.