Screw Geometry

Moderator: GiD Team

juancho150

Screw Geometry

Post by juancho150 »

Hi!

I need some help creating geometries, i am trying to do a screw on GiD and create the Volume of it. Can you help with any tutorial of how to do it????

I hope you can help me.

Thanks!!!!
abelcs

Re: Screw Geometry

Post by abelcs »

Dear GiD user,

you can find several tutorials in our website, from beginner to advanced user level:
http://www.gidhome.com/support/tutorials
There are some tutorials in the User Manual, and you can also use the tutorials we have made in the past GiD Conventions (also present in this link).
Kind regards,
ABEL
amelendo

Post by amelendo »

I think that the easiest way to create a screw is using the sweep function inside Utilities->Copy window.
Take a look at the manual information, hope it helps you:
http://www.gidhome.com/component/manual ... processing
escolano

Post by escolano »

a screw could be a complicated shape,
I recommend you to create with some CAD program, like RhinoCeros, Catia, etc, (if do you have some of them and know how to use it)
and export/import it in GiD trought some exchange format: IGES, RhinoCeros, STEP, ACIS or Parasolid
juancho150

Post by juancho150 »

hi escolano, i already know how to do it in a CAD program, but i need to learn how to do it in GiD directly.

likewise thanks!!!

I'm still looking for the way to do this, if annyone can help me :)
escolano

Post by escolano »

Depends of how is the shape of your screw, If you have created it with other CAD, send us the model (or at least a picture) and maybe we can orientate about how to do it with GiD.
The 'twist surface' of the screw could be a difficult part. You can try to use the Copy tool with sweep extrussion, or it is is not possible to do it with this tool you can try to create as much curves as required to define the shape of 'four-sided patches', and then create this surfaces from its boundary lines.