Contact suface simulation: mesh generation and material setting

Moderator: CODE_BRIGHT Team

zqlgeo

Contact suface simulation: mesh generation and material setting

Post by zqlgeo »

Dear
In the example of JOINT SHEAR TEST in code_bright tutorial 2021
I have follow problems
1) In pp.IX.9, the minimum porosity is 2.7 in the table 4, Is it a typo?
2) In contact surface setting. how to check whether a material of contact surface has been set successful? because Draw material cannot show contact surface.
3) In mesh generation, I find unstructure mesh cannot used. Therfore, I confused about whether in conact surface simulation, Only structure mesh is available.
If two geometry bodies that around a contact surface is meshed with structure, whether other geometry body without contact surface can use unstructure mesh?
4) whether contact surface donot have own mesh? they only use mesh grid of the contact bodies

Thanks
escolano

Re: Contact suface simulation: mesh generation and material setting

Post by escolano »

About some of your questions (I didn't followed the related tutorial)
2) In case of doubt you can list the contact surface (Utilities->List->Surfaces...) It will show its Material index (the index from 1 in the list of current GiD materials)

3) the contact surface/contact volume are special pseudo-entities, it can be seen as a kind of 'mesh criteria' to force a master-slave mesh in both entities.
You can consider that his own mesh is always 'semi-structured' in the zero-depth direction, with only 1 division (1-1 relationship between the two linked entities, usually in the same space location). On the other directions the lines of contact surface (or surfaces of contact volume) could be structured or not.

The mesh of both linked entities is 1-1 related, the mesh of the rest of bodies must be structured or not, but in any case must be compatible with the 1-1 mesh restriction of the contact entity

4) I don't understand well the question. You can set the mesh criteria to 'no mesh' the contact entity, then its elements won't be in the final mesh, but the forced 1-1 relationship master-slave continue active.
zqlgeo

Re: Contact suface simulation: mesh generation and material setting

Post by zqlgeo »

escolano wrote:About some of your questions (I didn't followed the related tutorial)
2) In case of doubt you can list the contact surface (Utilities->List->Surfaces...) It will show its Material index (the index from 1 in the list of current GiD materials)

3) the contact surface/contact volume are special pseudo-entities, it can be seen as a kind of 'mesh criteria' to force a master-slave mesh in both entities.
You can consider that his own mesh is always 'semi-structured' in the zero-depth direction, with only 1 division (1-1 relationship between the two linked entities, usually in the same space location). On the other directions the lines of contact surface (or surfaces of contact volume) could be structured or not.

The mesh of both linked entities is 1-1 related, the mesh of the rest of bodies must be structured or not, but in any case must be compatible with the 1-1 mesh restriction of the contact entity

4) I don't understand well the question. You can set the mesh criteria to 'no mesh' the contact entity, then its elements won't be in the final mesh, but the forced 1-1 relationship master-slave continue active.

Thanks for your reply, it is helpful