Air Layer for Atmospheric Boundary

Moderator: CODE_BRIGHT Team

Melia_Hawaii

Air Layer for Atmospheric Boundary

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Hi Alfonso,

I am having trouble with running Code_Bright using the air layer suggested during the Code_Bright Course to model runoff. I am using the air layer parameters given during the atmospheric presentation by Vanaut and keeping the atmospheric tutorial parameters, conditions, and geometry the same. It worked at first for that geometry and even a slope geometry I inputted myself. It then worked for an atmospheric file I created. But all of a sudden there seems to be a bug in the program. When I calculate the process, an error occurs. Then when I look at the material parameters, they are all shifted up in the TH-DATA card. For example, the Conductive flux of heat (CFOH) 1 parameters are now in the dispersive flux of mass and energy slots, and the conductive flux of heat 2 parameters are in the CFOH1 slots, and finally the solid phase properties parameters are in the CFOH2 slots. If I replace all the parameters in their correct slots, re-check all conditions, problem data, interval data, and re-mesh, the problem simply reoccurs. This happened a month ago but the problem was solved when I uninstalled and reinstalled GID. Now, however, the problem persists even if I uninstall and reinstall GID and Code_Bright. However, atmospheric problems without the air layer run fine.

Melia
Melia_Hawaii

Re: Air Layer for Atmospheric Boundary

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Hello again,

I would like to add that I attempted the air layer with GID versions 12.0.8, 12.0.10, and 12.1.11d. They all had the same error: Especification file: C:/Program Files/GiD/GiD 12.1.11d/problemtypes/Code_bright_v6.gid/Code_bright_v64.bas not correct. Nothing written

Melia
Agus

Post by Agus »

Melia,

I understand what you mean about exchanged lines. Sometimes happened to me and I think it is due to save files over another file. Maybe some error file was kept into the file. My suggestion is to make the file again. Unfortunately, I have seen this kind of problems in many other FEM programs.

About the "air layer", are you talking about the atmospheric boundary condition? I don't know what you mean.

Cheers
Melia_Hawaii

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Hi Agus,

Thank you so much for your reply. When you say "some error file was kept into the file", are you referring to the project file, code_bright program file, or GID program file? Here is what I have tried so far:

-uninstall/reinstall GID 12.0.10, 12.0.8, 12.1.11d (I have the professional license for version 12 but am considering upgrading to 13 IF it means that this problem could be resolved)
-uninstall/reinstall Code_Bright_v6 and v5.4 in all GID versions
-uninstall, re-download code_bright_v6 and v5.4 from code_bright website, reinstall into all versions of GID
-previously, the air layer worked on the atm_tutorial and the atm_tutorial with a simple slope. I attempted to re-run both files with all versions of GID.
-I recreated both atm_tutorial and atm_tutorial with simple slope, both with air layer.
-I recreated atm_tutorial (without air layer) and it worked. I tried to add air layer on this file, it failed.

I am at my wits end, and I do not understand why it suddenly does not work. I noticed that the lines exchange not when I calculate or mesh, but when I change intervals. The air layer is designed to more correctly model runoff under atmospheric boundary conditions. Without the air layer, ponding is not allowed to occur, which may be problematic for certain applications. It also avoids the gamma_liquid parameter which some users have issues with.

I look forward to your reply.
Agus

Post by Agus »

Hi Melia,

I haven't worked with runoff or what you call "air layer" yet. In fact I still don't know what is the "air layer" and I suppose you are talking about the atmospheric condition with runoff. I am so sorry. I am a user of CB and I tried to help you on what I thought I could help. I think the problem of exchanged lines is not a matter of GID or CB installation, as you can check. Neither a matter of boundary condition. Maybe some internal problem. As far as I know, Alfonso is aware of this problem and I think they are trying to know what happens with this issue.

I will try to know something about it. Meanwhile, try to save the project as another project every time you change the interval. If I discover something about this issue, I will tell you something.

Cheers,
Agus
Melia_Hawaii

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Hi Agus,

Your response is very helpful in understanding this problem. It is also comforting to know that Alfonso is working on the issue.

I will continue to search for a solution.

Best,
Melia
Melia_Hawaii

Post by Melia_Hawaii »

Hello Agus,

It seems that I needed to save my file to my documents folder. I saved my files to my GID thumbdrive at first, then transferred them to my onedrive folder when it started having problems. The problems persisted, and after your last reply I decided to save a new file in the documents folder. The program is now running with the air layer. The air layer is simply a layer that models "air" with hydraulic and thermal parameters that will model air.

Best,
Melia
code_bright

Post by code_bright »

Hi Melia,

Happy to hear that the problem have been solved. Indeed, some people save their files into Program files and it gives problems due to some Windows restrictions on that folder. I don't know about storing it in OneDrive or other places. Anyway, it is strongly recommended to save the project inside the Documents folder.

Best regards,

Alfonso