Using Code Bright for frozen soil

Moderator: CODE_BRIGHT Team

tmle

Using Code Bright for frozen soil

Post by tmle »

I am interested in using Code_Bright for frozen soils and problems associated with frozen soil (frost heave or slope stability). Is it possible to use the current Code_Bright for frozen soil? I saw that it has been used in some publications (Nishimura et al. 2009). However, It is not explicitly explained in the manual if a frozen soil model have been implemented, but i wonder if any of the existing models in CB can be used in a way to model frozen soils.
code_bright

Re: Using Code Bright for frozen soil

Post by code_bright »

Yes, it can be used with all the models included in Mechanical Data 1 materials window.
It is included in the Code_Bright manual as ITYCL=18 for the Retention Curve and ITYCL=12 for the liquid phase relative permeability.
tmle

Post by tmle »

Wase

Post by Wase »

Hi,
I have modeling soil freezing and thawing in soil and try to use CODE-BRIGHT. I appreciate if guide me through the following inquiries:
ITYCL=18 for the Retention Curve gives relationship between water content and suction (pore-pressure).
ITYCL=12 for the liquid phase relative permeability also gives relationship between permeability and liquid saturation.
But can (1) increase in volumetric strain of soil elements induced by reduction of temperature to zero and increase in stiffness of soil by freezing modeled using CODE-BRIGHT?
Is there any previously documented case of modeling soil freezing and thawing using CODE-BRIGHT?

Thanks in advance