Fw: [GiDlist] Fw: Exporting NASTRAN file from GID : an mesh

Moderator: GiD Team

Gabriel Preda

Fw: [GiDlist] Fw: Exporting NASTRAN file from GID : an mesh

Post by Gabriel Preda »

This message was unanswered after 1 day.

----- Original Message -----
To: gidlist at gatxan.cimne.upc.es
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 5:01 PM
Subject: [GiDlist] Fw: Exporting NASTRAN file from GID : an mesh example

Hello, Everybody.
I am sorry, but I would like an answer mainly from the customer support people from GID, if
someone is around (I know, Spain time-zone is far away ...)
Please reffer to previous e-mail, included bellow.

I come back to attach an example of mesh (please don't mind the ugly shapes, there are one
star and a L-shape with different material properties) to illustrate the problem; if NASTRAN mesh is exported,
only the star and air appears; the L-=shape is gone; furthermore, if in GID then
we set all mesh to be quad, only one material will be set for all regions (let's say, air overall).

Sincerely yours,
Gabriel Preda

----- Original Message -----
To: gidlist at gatxan.cimne.upc.es
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 10:47 AM
Subject: Exporting NASTRAN file from GID

Hi.
I am new around.
I work for a company comercializing a stand-alone high performance electromagnetic analysis
software (EMSolution from SSIL Inc. Tokyo, Japan);
I was testing Gid in view of recommending as the pre/post-processor of choice for our clients.
Currently we recommnend FEMAP but as our customer pool is increasing (and their budget
size average is shrinking) Gid becames very interesting.

We currently include NASTRAN as preprocessor format for our software so the transfer must be very
smooth, we thought.
But, surprise, our Windows version release 7 Gid (1 month trial version) exports NASTRAN 2D mesh (first trials)
in a strange form, as follows:

-if only triangular mesh is present in a model, material properties (or property ID's) set to elements are outputted \
correctly in NASTRAN format;

-if only quad mesh is present in a model, material properties (or property ID's) set to elements are all reset to the
last ID; for example, if we define 4 property ID's (and thereforre, the mesh must have 4 different regions each with his
own property), the exported mesh will have only one property.

-if the mesh contains both tri and quad subdomains (let's say, surfaces meshed with tri mesh and quad mesh), the
NASTRAN mesh is outputted with 2 properties: one is assigned to triangular meshed regions and another property
is assigned to quad meshed regions;

Details: materials were created using "ANSISbla-bla-plate type)
NOTE: No problem with the GID (*.msh) file exported; I inspected the ASCII file and it's straight; properties are there
where should be;

Questions:
1. Is the behavior experienced before by anyone?
2. Could this be only a problem with the trial version, maybe?

Observation: of course, inspecting the GID format, we also realized that it is simple to parse and it will be very easy
to include the format in our set of supported formats but stil we ould like to offer also NASTRAN format.

Sincerely ,
Gabriel Preda

Gabriel Preda
Science Solutions International Laboratory, Inc.
2-21-7, Naka-cho, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0065 JAPAN
Phone:+81-3-3711-8900, Fax:+81-3-3711-8910
E-mail: preda at ssil.co.jp
http://www.ssil.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20041013/6dc01ffb/attachment.htm
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: TestQuadTriMesh.zip
Type: application/x-zip-compressed
Size: 30340 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20041013/6dc01ffb/attachment.bin