.dat file

Moderator: GiD Team

anicakabanica

.dat file

Post by anicakabanica »

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding exporting .dat file from GiD in order to import it in other FEM solver. I hope someone can and will help me. Thank you in advance.

So, I have created the geometry, boundary conditions and mesh in the GiD. Now, I want to obtain the .dat file so I can import it in other software. Is this possible and if yes, how it's done? Thank you very much.
escolano

Re: .dat file

Post by escolano »

In which solver?
Each solver has its own format

And what is the problemtype that you have loaded in GiD? (to apply some boundary condition you must have loaded some problemtype that defined the condition names and its fields)
When a problemtype is loaded the menu Files->Export->Calculation file... write the current GiD data with the format defined by the template files of the current problemtype, and it uses the format that the solver (started by Calculate->Calculate) expects
anicakabanica

Post by anicakabanica »

Thanks for Your answer.
I want to import .dat file from GiD to Feap. I choose the problem type gid_feap.
escolano

Post by escolano »

The if you use the related menu
Calculate->Calculate
or
Files->Export->Calculation file...
a <modelname.dat> file will be written with the input syntax of FEAP
and it can be used by feap.exe with
feap.exe -i<modelname.dat>

but I think (I am not user of this code) that the problemtype gid_feap is very old and simple, and it was created for feap 7.4a
FEAP probably has evolved a lot and maybe it is unable to read the data of old feap 7.4 versions
anicakabanica

Post by anicakabanica »

It works! Thank You!