Support for exporting data to GiD

Moderator: GiD Team

Roman

Support for exporting data to GiD

Post by Roman »

Dear All,

For the code we develop we would like make exporter to GiD. I have started to look at GiD format description, but I am sure this problem was already tackled several times. Maybe there are some libraries to aid in writing GID exportes. While keeping searching Internet I would like to kindly ask you for some hints or references.

With kind regards,

Roman Putanowicz
escolano

Re: Support for exporting data to GiD

Post by escolano »

We don't provide any library to write GiD geometry files.
We only provide the 'gidpost' library, to write mesh and results for postprocess.

About GiD geometry format, there is a short documentation of the ASCII format in the 'GiD customization manual'->Preprocess data files

Instead of write GiD .geo files you can also implement the import/export of other formats with Tcl scripting language.
For example you can inspect the Tcl code of
<gid>\plugins\Import\Calculix\Calculix.tcl

It implements the feature showed by the menu Files->Import->Calculix... in preprocess that read the .frd CALCULIX geometry files and create GiD geometry using Tcl commands like GiD_Geometry, GiD_Info, GiD_Process, and others

The plugin also implements in postprocess Files->Import->Calculix... the import of CALCULIX .fbd results file.

NOTE: Calculix is a FEM structural solver that uses as input Abaqus-like syntax (http://www.calculix.de)