Post by simonz »

this is the file for the previous post which i forgot to attach with
Attachments
file.zip
(331.94 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
escolano

Re: out of range

Post by escolano »

I never used Mayavi but I think that you can do what you want much better with GiD postprocess.
(GiD seems much more powerful than Mayvi)
escolano

Post by escolano »

and about use of the copy/move tool I think that is trivial if do you have followed the basical tutorials of the 'GiD user manual' to start learning GiD.

To translate some entities, e.g. mesh elements must set
Entities type=Element
Tranformation=Translation
first and secon point is the relative increment of translation (e.g. to move 'a' units in x direction left the first point coordinate to {0 0 0} and set the second point to {a 0 0}
press select and select somehow the elements you want (press <escape> or the Finish button to end)
simonz

Post by simonz »

Hi escolano:
thanks a lot and I have learnt the "move" option;
while i am still confusing about the post-processing, for example, I set my problem type as FEM/DEM, and given my meshes several properties, like the condition; initial velocities and moved them into corresponding places in order to have a collision simulation.
While after i click the calculation, the GiD automatically used the MayaVi as a visualiser; if I close the MayaVi window, and use the post-processing, there is nothing in the window->view results, which confuse me quite much.
Can you give me some hint about generating a similar post-processing results similar to those examples shown in the video in the front page, for example the "Aerodynamical Analysis Of A Motorbike"?

Thank you so much.
Simon
escolano

Post by escolano »

Who has written this "FEM/DEM" problemtype?
yourself or a third part? (by your question I guess that is a third part problemtype)
To know what is a 'GiD problemtype' and how to do it read GiD help on 'Customization manual' http://www.gidhome.com/documents/custom ... TRODUCTION

When you click the calculation in GiD it starts the 'problemtype'.bat file and does what this file has.
GiD doent' start MayaVi as visualizer!!
maybe the .bat starts a calculation code that write some result file with MayaVi syntax and then automatically its starts MayaVi to show them.

The normal way for GiD is that the calculation file write the results in GiD postprocess format
(writting directly our ASCII format http://www.gidhome.com/documents/custom ... DATA+FILES
or through our 'gidpost' library http://www.gidhome.com/archives/476)
and then when the calculation finish a window ask to swith to GiD postprocess and then these .post.res results are read if they exists and all GiD postprocess features could be used (like the ones that you could see in our web examples section)
simonz

Post by simonz »

Hi escolano:
yes it is written by a third party, which is a required problemtype for my simulation, so i'm wondering if it is possible to have the same post-processing as in the web by still using this problemtype (the FEMDEM problemtype is attached)?
Attachments
FEMDEM.zip
(200.07 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

I had a look to the B3D.win.bat file of the "FEMDEM/B3D.gid" problemtype and it has this code

echo "Generating output file ......" >>%2\%1.log
%3\GID_B3D.exe %2\%1.DAT %3\B3D.PAR
if exist 1.tmp goto end
echo "Running job......" >>%2\%1.log
"C:\Program Files\IC-QMUL\VGW\Y3D.exe" %1.Y3D
echo "Converting into VTU files......" >>%2\%1.log
"C:\Program Files\IC-QMUL\VGW\m2vtu\m2vtu3D.exe" %1 %1.Y3D
echo "Visulizing the results......" >>%2\%1.log
"C:\Program Files\MayaVi\mayavi" -d %10.vtu -m SurfaceMap -f ExtractTensorComponents

The line
%3\GID_B3D.exe %2\%1.DAT %3\B3D.PAR
run the calculation exe program and write some results, probably it its own format.

then it run two auxilary programs (installed outside the problemtype folder) that seems that convert these results in another file with VTK format
"C:\Program Files\IC-QMUL\VGW\Y3D.exe" %1.Y3D
echo "Converting into VTU files......" >>%2\%1.log
"C:\Program Files\IC-QMUL\VGW\m2vtu\m2vtu3D.exe" %1 %1.Y3D

and then the line
"C:\Program Files\MayaVi\mayavi" -d %10.vtu -m SurfaceMap -f ExtractTensorComponents
starts Mauyavi that seems that is able to read this kind of VTK files (.vtu - unstructured mesh)

GiD is also able to read in postprocess VTK files (mesh+results).
When the calculation finish go to GiD postprocess (Files->Postprocess) and open the *.vtu file/s inside your model .gid folder with Files->Import->Vtk...

(You can off course also write an auxiliary program like 'm2vtu3D.exe' that read the FEMDEM results and directly convert them to .post.res 'GiD postprocess files')
simonz

Post by simonz »

Hi escolano:
thanks a lot for you spending time on those files i attached.
i've tried your suggestion while when after the calculation was done, and when i trying to import the vtk files, the GiD shows a warning as: GiD_MeshPost: bad element number of nodes '10'. Quadratic elements are not implemented.
the vtk files are attached and i really appreciate if you can have a look.

Thank you.
simon
Attachments
testvtu.rar
(2.93 MiB) Downloaded 360 times