Importing 3D scanned particle meshes (.obj files)

Moderator: GiD Team

simonz

Importing 3D scanned particle meshes (.obj files)

Post by simonz »

Does anyone knows why every time i import my .obj files which are 3D scanned meshes into the GiD and trying to simulate them as B3D projects, the system will always stop running? It always shows that the Y3D.exe has stopped running.
By the way, when i follow the steps that are specified by the research group "VGW", and using their "Shape Library 1.0" which allows the others to export pre-scanned particles into GiD or DEM files, there is no such problem of simulation.
Thank you so much for your help
escolano

Re: Importing 3D scanned particle meshes (.obj files)

Post by escolano »

Sorry, but I don't understand most of your acronyms: B3D, Y3D.exe, or the research group "VGW"

In GiD you can import a .obj Wavefront format file simply with the menu: Files->Import->Obj wavefront mesh
(or dragging a .obj file over GiD in preprocess)
In postprocess there it also possible to import this kind of mesh with Files->Import->Plugins->Wavefront objects import.

What do you want to do after importing the .obj file? what kind of simulation and what is the problemtype to do it?

If do you have problems importing the .obj file in GiD, attach a copy of it in this forum to check it.
simonz

Re: Importing 3D scanned particle meshes (.obj files)

Post by simonz »

Thank you for your responding.
The process of importing .obj files is not concerning me, what troubles me currently is that after i import my different .obj files and designated the problem type as "FEMDEM>B3D" and did all different commands, e.g, data alteration, moving particles etc. After all of these and when i save my project as .gid file, and clicked the calculation button which should show the result of simulation with the "Mayavi", while the program stopped automatically.
The VGW (Vertual Geosience Workbench) i mentioned was developed by Dr. Munjiza and his group, who developed a "Shape Library" which allows the user to export some particles into GiD files in order to run the simulation.