Cannot import an example tcl file...

Moderator: GiD Team

EngineerHere

Cannot import an example tcl file...

Post by EngineerHere »

Hello,

I am a new user of GID interface and I was trying to import an example.tcl file from opensees wiki website below.
https://opensees.berkeley.edu/wiki/inde ... ifuge_Test

I can import different files, but this example's file doesn't work. Does anyone have the same problem?
Thanks
Attachments
example.rar
(69.32 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
escolano

Re: Cannot import an example tcl file...

Post by escolano »

Hi,
The 'example.tcl' file is not a GiD file, but an input file of the OpenSees solver
The process followed to create this file was:
1- create or import the geometry in Gid
2- load in GiD some GiD-OpenSees problemtype (there exists more than one),
3- Assign graphically to the geometry the boundary conditions, materials and properties available in this problemtype
4- generate the mesh (that inherit the boundary conditions and materials from the geometry)
(or maybe the geometry doesn't exists and it was directly imported some mesh and assign conditions directly to mesh, but is not the usual way)
5- export the calculation file with data of the mesh, boundary conditions, etc following a problemtype template to obtain a file with the syntax expected by the solver (in this case a tcl file, because OpenSees uses its own Tcl scripting interpreter)
6- run the solver (opensees) from GiD (calculate export the file and start the solver) or outside GiD in a console.
7-The calculation write some results file, that are automatically read in GiD (if have the appropriated format) changing to postprocess mode.

In general, the calculation file cannot be re-imported again in GiD to recover the mesh (except it the problemtype add its own tool to parse this file and create the GiD entities with its information)

How have you obtained the 'example.tcl' file?
If do you want to see the results in GiD do you need to have the full GiD model (a .gid folder with the geometry, mesh, and results after the solver has calculated it)
EngineerHere

Post by EngineerHere »

Hello Escolano,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I got the example file from the site below.
https://opensees.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/ ... l/4188.htm

I've been studying on GID+OpenSees Interface v2.8.0 and I see that it allows to import .tcl file.
Actually the problem is I cannot import that specific tcl file I attached earlier. I did import many others. And I managed to see the geometry and run the analysis...But when I try it for the attached file, it freezes, when I try to exit it gives me "Import failed" error.

So you're saying that I need a .gid file but I did manage to import tcl files for different examples that has not . gid files in the folder.

Thank you again for your reply.

escolano wrote:Hi,
The 'example.tcl' file is not a GiD file, but an input file of the OpenSees solver
The process followed to create this file was:
1- create or import the geometry in Gid
2- load in GiD some GiD-OpenSees problemtype (there exists more than one),
3- Assign graphically to the geometry the boundary conditions, materials and properties available in this problemtype
4- generate the mesh (that inherit the boundary conditions and materials from the geometry)
(or maybe the geometry doesn't exists and it was directly imported some mesh and assign conditions directly to mesh, but is not the usual way)
5- export the calculation file with data of the mesh, boundary conditions, etc following a problemtype template to obtain a file with the syntax expected by the solver (in this case a tcl file, because OpenSees uses its own Tcl scripting interpreter)
6- run the solver (opensees) from GiD (calculate export the file and start the solver) or outside GiD in a console.
7-The calculation write some results file, that are automatically read in GiD (if have the appropriated format) changing to postprocess mode.

In general, the calculation file cannot be re-imported again in GiD to recover the mesh (except it the problemtype add its own tool to parse this file and create the GiD entities with its information)

How have you obtained the 'example.tcl' file?
If do you want to see the results in GiD do you need to have the full GiD model (a .gid folder with the geometry, mesh, and results after the solver has calculated it)
Attachments
failed.JPG
failed.JPG (61.7 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

By the header of the file
#########################################################
# This file is created from GID pre- and post-processor #
# using "geoOpenSees.gid" Problem Type #

it seems that it was not created by the "GiD+OpenSees" interface, but by another problemtype called "geoOpenSees.gid" (maybe can contact the tutorial author to have a copy of this problemtype and of the original GiD model also)

I have tried to import the file with "GiD+OpenSees" v 2.8.0 Windows x64, that seems that implements an importer but it start an auxiliary exe TclToGiD.exe that is not able to read this case (in my test become frozen).

Do an importer of only the mesh nodes and elements seem easy with a few of scripting,
but do an importer of the full syntax of an OpenSees file seems very difficult, because this file is really a Tcl scripting and its content could be very complex and heterogeneous. I think also that "GiD+OpenSees" is more devoted to structural cases that geothechical ones, and is not covering all simulation possibilites of OpenSees. Maybe the importer is able to import the kind of 'opensees .tcl' files that are written by himself.

You can create the GiD geometry from scratch, it seems a very simple geometry, but I am not sure is the "GiD+OpenSees" problemtype will be able to represent all data (boundary conditions, general data, simulation strategy...) to do this kind of simulation and write a calculation file for OpenSees equivalent of the one of the example. (but I am not user of "GiD+OpenSees" and really I don't know its features)
EngineerHere

Post by EngineerHere »

I understand now.
Thank you for your time and the information.
I think I will contact the coder...
Thanks again.

escolano wrote:By the header of the file
# This file is created from GID pre- and post-processor #
# using "geoOpenSees.gid" Problem Type #

it seems that it was not created by the "GiD+OpenSees" interface, but by another problemtype called "geoOpenSees.gid" (maybe can contact the tutorial author to have a copy of this problemtype and of the original GiD model also)

I have tried to import the file with "GiD+OpenSees" v 2.8.0 Windows x64, that seems that implements an importer but it start an auxiliary exe TclToGiD.exe that is not able to read this case (in my test become frozen).

Do an importer of only the mesh nodes and elements seem easy with a few of scripting,
but do an importer of the full syntax of an OpenSees file seems very difficult, because this file is really a Tcl scripting and its content could be very complex and heterogeneous. I think also that "GiD+OpenSees" is more devoted to structural cases that geothechical ones, and is not covering all simulation possibilites of OpenSees. Maybe the importer is able to import the kind of 'opensees .tcl' files that are written by himself.

You can create the GiD geometry from scratch, it seems a very simple geometry, but I am not sure is the "GiD+OpenSees" problemtype will be able to represent all data (boundary conditions, general data, simulation strategy...) to do this kind of simulation and write a calculation file for OpenSees equivalent of the one of the example. (but I am not user of "GiD+OpenSees" and really I don't know its features)