USB dongle almost broken

Moderator: GiD Team

hellfiremaga

USB dongle almost broken

Post by hellfiremaga »

Hello GID team

I work for a company where we have got an old 9.0.1 version of GID on 2 computers with windows XP 32bits which use a USB dongle for both of them.

It worked really great but our dongle is now broken and work only on one computer. Since this computer will soon be exchanged for a better one, we would like to transfer our license dongle on a new USB key for continuing to use GID on our new computers.

I have searched on the site but I didn't find any way to do that, is it possible? And, if so, how can we do that?

Many thanks by advance

Best regards
escolano

Re: USB dongle almost broken

Post by escolano »

As is explained in the web page: http://www.gidhome.com/purchase/prices, officially:
GiD licences have an unlimited duration for one specific computer. Changes of licence to a different computer are excepcionally allowed only within the first year after purchasing the licence.
Technically it is not possible to move a licence from a machine to another (the USB memory stick is like a machine where the password is attached).

For special cases contact direclty with us at gid@cimne.upc.edu and we will study it.

In your case it seems that the USB memory stick is not the problem, because you said that it works on a computer but not in the other!!.
Do you have a 'USB memory stick' or a 'USB dongle'? (there was a special USB Noran dongle, deprecated nowadays. In this case maybe some extra driver must be installed)

You can test your USB device in other machines with GiD 9.x.
What happen if do you plug the USB and go to menu Help->Register GiD...?
It appear the usb in the list of possible machines to be registered?
If it works probably changing to a new machine won't be a problem but a solution.
hellfiremaga

Post by hellfiremaga »

Hello again and thanks for your answer

First of all, we use a memory stick, a Kingston 1GB if this can help.

I have seen that licences are not movable from PC to PC, I wasn't sure for USB but if it's no, I'll see with my boss to buy a new license.

I don't know why but the USB memory stick only works on one PC, that's really odd.
I have already tried this USB memory stick on two new PC with windows 7 64bits and red hat 6.4 but they don't even see the memory stick. I have also tried on another computer with the same hardware of the one which is working and still got nothing. When I try the "Help->Register GiD", the key does not appear, even in windows "computer management". Our support told me that the key is maybe too old or slowly dying

Other memory stick works fine but this one not. I've looked on the internet but didn't find many solutions.
escolano

Post by escolano »

Try to install the last 9.3.1d version (the last compatible with your 9.x licence), from http://www.gidhome.com/download/develop ... ions/win32

Maybe this version has some enhancements to try to detect your memory stick.
hellfiremaga

Post by hellfiremaga »

Hello

I've just tried your idea but it doesn't work, even on linux.
The light of the memory stick don't even light up when I connect it to another computer and GID don't see it either. The new memory stick works fine on every station and GID accept it fine.

I thought the driver could be the problem but it doesn't work on linux and I'm sure his driver is okay.

I've also found some other people with a similar problem on the internet but their memory stick didn't work on any computer, I guess I'm lucky it still working a little.

Any other ideas?
Snowberwo

Post by Snowberwo »

hellfiremaga wrote:Hello

I've just tried your idea but it doesn't work, even on linux.
The light of the memory stick don't even light up when I connect it to another computer and GID don't see it either. The new memory stick works fine on every station and GID accept it fine.

I thought the driver could be the problem but it doesn't work on linux and I'm sure his driver is okay.

I've also found some other people with a similar problem on the internet but their memory stick didn't work on any computer, I guess I'm lucky it still working a little.

Any other ideas?
If the Dongle is working then I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the drivers or ports. How many computers have you tried it with? Is it only working on the old pc? If you'll be eventually using a new pc then that dongle won't work.