GiD does not completely load at start

Moderator: GiD Team

skatulla

GiD does not completely load at start

Post by skatulla »

Hi

I have been using Gid since version 7. Version 13 and 14 are not working anymore on my Dell XPS 13, Ubuntu 18.04. The GUI initially opens but then freezes, i.e. it does not load the top menu button (File, ...).

I have been also trying various developer versions, also gidx, gid_safe_mode, gid_old_libs. It is all not working. Please advise.

Regards
Sebastian
escolano

Re: GiD does not completely load at start

Post by escolano »

Which exact GiD 14 version? try both, the last official and the last developer
and delete the user settings https://www.gidhome.com/documents/faqgi ... references
skatulla

Post by skatulla »

Hi

Sorry for responding so late, but my message did initially not appear in the forum for a week or so. Also, I did not get a notification that a response was posted by you.

I have tried to use gid14.0.4-linux-x64 and gid14.1.9-x64. In both cases, GiD gets stuck when opening it.

The gidx executable does open though. However, GiD frequently freezes while working with it subsequently. The only way to unfreeze it is to randomly close some other currently open programs. Also, hitting the the CTRL-key sometimes does the trick. Two of my students also running Ubuntu 18.04 have the same problems.

I have just deleted the complete $HOME/.gid folder as instructed in the link provided by you. No effect unfortunately.

Regards
Sebastian
skatulla

Post by skatulla »

HI

I have posted my query in July but it still has not been answered (3 months later). My postgraduate students and myself are struggling to use any GiD version on Ubuntu 18.04 machines. Please advise.

Regards
Sebastian
escolano

Post by escolano »

Have you tried with current GiD 15.0.1 version?

At least in our virtual machine with Ubuntu 18.04.3 x64 is able to run
GiD_15_ubuntu_18_04_3.png
GiD_15_ubuntu_18_04_3.png (358.21 KiB) Viewed 5681 times